PDA

View Full Version : Creating post wizard for Average Joe contributors

AllanWoody
04-07-2009, 06:25 PM
I've searched the forums high and low for something related to my needs but so far I haven't been able to find it. If there is one please direct me there. And if there are any tutorials or videos to help me with this issue anyone can suggest then please let me know.

I've been assigned the task of webmastering a new original video content site because, out of those of us involved, I've got the most web experience having 2 other sites previously under my belt but, those sites were basic HTML with a little flash splashed here and there. My problem is I have 12 contributors who have never worked on a website except for user interfaces like MySpace and so on. I've already designed a rudamentary site using templates to control content insertion but the problem is these people don't know how to manipulate Dreamweaver properly and I want to make it super easy for them so I don't have to clean it up every day (which I'll have to do before I can post my own content).

So here's my dream senario:

Average Joe goes to a link I've e-mailed him and he's bookmarked which allows him to log in. Once logged in he chooses to create a new post. Now he is sent to a page or a dialoge box which gives him the basic required fields below:

Catagory,
Headline,
Thumbnail (No/Yes)
Content,
Video (No/Yes)

And then his new post is uploaded to the mainpage of the site as an individual source which can also be added to the subcatagory page he has indicated with the date, his name, and link for comments at the bottom which will take the user of the site to the post's individual page to allow for comments. For instance:

Lets say Joe created the following post:

http://www.2dudesfilms.com/images/Example1.JPG

http://www.2dudesfilms.com/images/Example2.JPG

http://www.2dudesfilms.com/images/Example3.JPG

The end result being that our contributor Average Joe has been given a very controled interface (something as simple as MySpace) where he is required to fill in certain information, and that creates a file/page/source which is then automatically applied to all the pages it is pertanent to on the site.

I'm absolutely positive that a system exists which will give me the end results I want. The website I've used as an example serves to prove it, they HAVE TO BE using something similar to what I'm talking about. The problem may be having the contributor interface that I want, but I do find it hard to believe I would be the first person to think of this solution to this kind of a problem that I'm sure hundreds if not thousands of other websites face.

Thanks for all the consideration.

davidj
04-07-2009, 07:30 PM
you want a CMS

There are loads out there. I have been playing with Drupal (http://drupal.org/)for a couple of months now and it does exactly what you want but it comes with a very steep learning curve. If you put your head down and get some tutorials covered you might arrive at something which meets your requirements

domedia
04-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Chances are that the website you are referring to is a data driven website, not one that is updated by Contribute. It's most likely the best option for your website as well. Come to think of it, what you are describing sounds like a blog.
Use something like Wordpress with multiple authors.

AllanWoody
09-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Okay, so I've looked into contribute and it does allow me to control the content my contributors have access to so they can't mess up other parts of the site. But the thing I need to know is how to create the module system that they will have access to so that they just simply fill out a form like they would if they were filling out a blog on myspace or something to that effect which would then source that module onto multiple pages of the site without them having to do all the work to distrubute it.

I'm also interested in having controls so that say the homepage can only display 6 modules at a time and then forces all previous entries on to archived pages. I've never done anything like that before but I do know it possible, I just don't know how to do it.

I will look into Wordpress and report back if that is what I'm looking for.

Corrosive
09-29-2009, 04:23 PM
I will look into Wordpress and report back if that is what I'm looking for.

Domedia is right. By your description, Wordpress is exactly what you are looking for!