PDA

View Full Version : I don't even know what to call this problem. Help?

grand poomba
04-07-2009, 05:05 AM
I've been doing pretty well using Dreamweaver considering what has turned out to be a fairly steep learning curve. Most of the time I'm able to fiddle around long enough usually to solve my own problems but this one has me stumped.

The page validates fine in Dreamweaver, it looks great in IE 6.0, but in IE 7.0 and sometimes in Firefox the black div block at the very bottom of the page (the one that holds the Copyright info and some navigations links)jumps up into the middle of the page and I cant figure out why.

Here is the page I'm working on: http://www.kodiakalaskafishinglodge.com/fishing.html

it also does it on the location page.

I would be super grateful for any advice I can get on this.

Thank you!

GP

davidj
04-07-2009, 05:38 AM
use firefox browser and install firebug add on

this will help you debug your page

I'm guessing that you haven't cleared your floated content above

Corrosive
04-07-2009, 06:06 AM
use firefox browser and install firebug add on

this will help you debug your page

I'm guessing that you haven't cleared your floated content above

DJ is right. You have floated some your footer divs (not sure you need four for what you want to achieve btw) and this takes them out of the 'flow' of the page. try adding clear: both; and take out the floats :)

grand poomba
04-07-2009, 07:22 PM
I haven't been able to fix it yet but I'm working on it. How do you know when you should float something or not?

It seems that some divs wont sit side by side if they are floated left and right, so in this situation the floats seem necessary.

What exactly does the "clear" code do?

Thank you for your help!

grand poomba
04-07-2009, 08:46 PM
I have floated, unfloated and cleared for hours. I have checked spacing and alignment and can't find any problems. I can not figure this out.

coloeagle
04-07-2009, 08:48 PM
How do you know when you should float something or not?
In simple - Float is used to place content you want placed either left or right of other content

It seems that some divs wont sit side by side if they are floated left and right, so in this situation the floats seem necessary.
It is natural for divs to fall below a previous div. With floats you are changing the natural positioning to desired positioning.

What exactly does the "clear" code do?
If you have blank space between floated divs, your next div will attempt to fill this gap. Clear will make this div ignore the gap placing it below floated div's.

coloeagle
04-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Did you remove the stuff for the div with the problem?

grand poomba
04-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Yes I removed the div with the problem, built another from scratch and it still does the same thing. It doesn't matter how I float it, clear it, how wide it is. Incredibly frustrating.

coloeagle
04-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Can you post this div info? Both the css you have now and the html.

coloeagle
04-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Never mind the css, I found it in the style sheet. Just need to take a look at the way you have your html.

grand poomba
04-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Look on the location page. I have messed with the fishing page too much. Thank you!

grand poomba
04-07-2009, 09:46 PM
The fishing page is back to the way it was with the black bar up off of the bottom in ie7.

coloeagle
04-07-2009, 09:51 PM
The footer links are at the bottom, you need to remove the width setting of zero for the copyright id.

The map image is at the top under the content text. Is it to be at the bottom of the content above the footer.

Let's take care of your immediate problem for now but I do want to mention. You have divs for your footer that are not really needed. You could lighten your html and css some by rewriting this div and removing those that are not needed.

grand poomba
04-07-2009, 09:57 PM
The fishing page is much better to see the problem. I fixed the width setting on the copyright div.

In the ie7 that I'm using the footer divs are showing up right under where it says Halibut fishing. Does it look this way in your browser?

coloeagle
04-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Yes it is, I will do a play around. May take a bit as the page works in FF3

grand poomba
04-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Yes the page looks fine in Ie6 and FF3. That is what is so bizarre. I've been working on this problem for a day now. Thank you again.

grand poomba
04-07-2009, 11:33 PM
It looks like I might have it fixed. I'm not sure exactly what I did but I truly do appreciate everyones help especially your ColoEagle!

Take care!

coloeagle
04-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Your welcome,

However....still near the top in my IE7.

coloeagle
04-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Ahh, just checked again and looks good.