PDA

View Full Version : how do i know when im ready?

silverglade
04-06-2009, 04:43 PM
hi, i eventually want to get hired by a company to be a web designer, im still working on css, and getting better at it but i still need a lot of work. when i look at all the good web designs out there it seems like a lot of the work is photoshop, and the possibilities are endless. theres no way i think i can learn it all, so i was wondering when i know im ready to be hired? i can do mockup websites so far, simple static ones. most of my images i get from google and i adjust them in photoshop. but i think i have to google photoshop tutorials as i go for the task at hand, instead of just randomly doing photoshop tutorials. a company is going to hand me an idea and ive got to convert it into some visual photoshop format, and i might not know how to do it in photoshop. i was wondering , how do i know when im ready to be hired? one way is that when i can stop asking questions in the forum, im closer. any help greatly appreciated. thanks. derek

Corrosive
04-06-2009, 05:06 PM
one way is that when i can stop asking questions in the forum, im closer. any help greatly appreciated. thanks. derek

I still ask questions...and I think I'm ready! Lol. Mock up some templates/designs and either we can take a look or you can find a friendly local designer to give you some feedback and say what they would expect your level to be. It's all about practice mate :)

silverglade
04-06-2009, 06:14 PM
thanks very again much corrosive. well i definitely ask a lot of questions but they are getting less and less as i do sites.
however , my skills at inventing designs are weak , but my photoshop skills and integrating google images arent bad. my css skills arent good enough yet, but i was wondering what exactly do employers give you when they want a design done? and i was wondering, if i cant come up with an idea, could i just google similar sites and base my site loosely on another site if i have trouble?
i wouldnt copy it, i would just get inspiration from the basic layout idea. any help greatly appreciated. thank you. derek:-D

here is my current portfolio of mockups. the mockups were based on other designs as i learn.

http://derekvanderven.com/websites.html

Corrosive
04-06-2009, 06:54 PM
thanks very again much corrosive. well i definitely ask a lot of questions but they are getting less and less as i do sites.
however , my skills at inventing designs are weak , but my photoshop skills and integrating google images arent bad. my css skills arent good enough yet, but i was wondering what exactly do employers give you when they want a design done? and i was wondering, if i cant come up with an idea, could i just google similar sites and base my site loosely on another site if i have trouble?
i wouldnt copy it, i would just get inspiration from the basic layout idea. any help greatly appreciated. thank you. derek:-D

here is my current portfolio of mockups. the mockups were based on other designs as i learn.

http://derekvanderven.com/websites.html

I think we'd all say we draw inspiration from other websites. That is just natural. When we do a site for a client we make sure we go and meet them, find out all about their business and the image they want to put across. We talk to them about functionality, what is the most important message and who their customers are or likely to be. With this info we come up with some designs and agree the best one with the client.

wasovs4
04-06-2009, 08:43 PM
:) Whenever You Know Personally That You Can Handle The Preassure That You May Possibly Be Approached With, And Have The Paticular Skills That That The Agency Of Your Choice Require.

wasim

silverglade
04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
thanks. how many mockup designs do you think i need (after ive mastered css and photoshop )do i need to approach a design company?

domedia
04-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Design companies are different just like designers are.
It might be that one company is looking for someone like you that can grow with them, and it's possible that another company is looking for someone with much more experience than what you have right now.

One way of finding out is applying for some jobs and ask very politely what you're lacking if they turn you down.

silverglade
04-07-2009, 04:32 PM
8) awesome thats a great idea thank you!:-D