PDA

View Full Version : New user. Best stylesheet use?

ghiebert
04-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Well here I am just about finished my first MySQL website, using DW also for the first time.
I can see that I should have used templates, too late for that maybe.
I can also see that it was a big mistake not using external stylesheets. The willy nilly way I have it is leading to disaster. DW keeps overriding my font style and font color changes, and even doubles and triples up style tags. And sometimes my changes don't even show. It's time to fix this, even though the site is almost done.
I have concluded I should be using external style sheets, as I have mentioned on another post. Do most programmers use external style sheets for text, divs, and for graphics and tables too? Am I going in the right direction? Perhaps other new users can learn from my errors.

regards,
ghiebert

coloeagle
04-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi Ghiebert welcome to the forum.

Yes, you are now headed in the right direction. An external style sheet is what you should be using. Separates content from design.

It will control;

Page layout
Text size, color and style
Consistent graphicsIt really is never too late to go back and redo your sites css by removing any embedded or inline styles to an external page. Since you are experiencing display problems I would suggest you do this. Time consuming at first but you won't regret it.

ghiebert
04-05-2009, 01:24 AM
Thanks coloeagle for the welcome, I hope to be long term and maybe to help others new to DW. Beside I am tired of yelling at my monitor when I get frustrated ... heh heh ... it's better just to come here and talk. It's a big relief to have this forum.

Re the redo, I shall do that indeed. I do not consider it time wasted if it makes for cleaner code that I can be proud of.

I certainly would welcome any suggestions of reading material for this. I currently have Dreamweaver the Missing Manual and there is a lot of discussion in there about CSS. However I find I learn better when asking others, and when referring to several sources which may say the same thing but in different words so that I get the point.

I did have a question about the wisdom of using DW to FTP changes live to the site, but I see by searching the forum that this is not wise at all, and that using something like Filezilla is the preferred method.

gord

edbr
04-06-2009, 01:46 AM
hi monitors are thereto be shouted at . i keep a hammer next to mine so it knows i mean it