PDA

View Full Version : Logo review request

Interstellar Icon
03-31-2009, 09:32 PM
Hi All,

This is really an Illustrator question, but since there isn't a dedicated Illustrator forum, I'm posting it here. If it needs to be moved or is too off-topic, please advise. :)

I'm working on some ideas for my company logo, and I'd be interested in your feedback and suggestions. Here are the proofs:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/sphere_nine_logo_proof_v663-30.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts - which version(s) you like, or which have the most potential, and suggestions for improvement, etc. The symbols are pretty rough right now, because I'm semi-retarded with respect to Illustrator, and I thought I'd invest time in perfecting the design once I've settled on a final concept.

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Rob_Che
03-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Hey Sam - your post is fine in here.

There's nothing wrong with any of them - however you seem to have narrowed your options very quickly. Do you have to use that font? When I'm designing a logo I tend to get the pen and paper out first then go looking for fonts to suit. If I was drafting straight into AI I would be looking at 10-20 different design, each with a different font.

I'd like to see some more designs. I wouldn't know what the company was from those logos. I think you're jumping the gun a little.

Look at:
What do the company do?
Who is their target audience?
Will the logo age?

I don't dislike what you've done but I think once you ask yourself those questions you'll come away with a better design.

Rob - I'm more than happy to help you brainstorm some ideas :)

Googling 'Sphere logo' wouldn't hurt either ;)

Interstellar Icon
03-31-2009, 10:19 PM
Good stuff Rob, as per usual. :-D I'm happy to play around with some more ideas, and I'm open to any suggestions you have. In other words, I'd like to take you up on your offer. :)

I Googled 'sphere logo', and there are a lot of good examples there. One idea that came to mind immediately had it's origin with this example:

http://www.eyeonsphere.com/Services/hosting.htm

I thought I could do something similar, but replace the orbiting line with a "9". Please let me know your thoughts.

I'm happy to play around with other fonts, as well, but I'm not really sure where to start. I haven't used pencil and paper to illustrate since I was a kid, and I wouldn't know how to find a matching font, either. Any ideas on how I can get started in the right direction?

I'll put some thought into the questions you suggested, and post again once I have my answers fleshed out...

Thanks,
Sam

domedia
04-01-2009, 04:55 AM
It should be part of your branding. What do you want the company to reflect through the logo etc.

Rob_Che
04-01-2009, 08:20 AM
I agree Ove (that was my 'what do the company do? question) - think carefully about the colors. It sounds obvious but a gardening logo might be green where a signage company may be red.

For mocking up - Use whatever programme you are most familiar with - it's about speed. You need to throw some ideas together and be able to work quick enough not to get bogged down with one idea or get bored of it. Don't stress over them being perfect - that will come later.

Take a look at some of the best logos too:
Recognisable - Striking / related to product
Scaleable - Not too complicated / vector only?
Works without color - Against light and dark backgrounds

domedia
04-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Yeah I think you were spot on in the first post.

Interstellar Icon
04-02-2009, 03:32 AM
Hey All,

Thanks very much for your input. I think what I'd like to do is come up with a "working logo" for now, something I can use in advertising, etc., and work long-term on the final version of the logo. I realize this isn't ideal from a branding perspective, but I need to make some things happen quickly with my business, and I think I'm better off having some kind image to present than nothing at all.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I got an idea from one of the sphere logos I saw online, and here's what I've come up with:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/sphere_nine_logo_proof_v673-31.jpg

I like the concept, but I'd like to make a couple of (hopefully quick) changes. First, I'm pretty sure I need to change the font, as the feedback I've received across the board is that the one I'm using isn't cutting it. I'd also like to make the symbol a bit less "cartoonish", for lack of a better term.

Any thoughts? Please let me know, and thanks again for all of your input. :-D

Sam

domedia
04-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Hi Sam,
I would just emphasize again on what is said above about loog development. It's not an issue of it 'looking good' :)

Blue_Vision
04-04-2009, 01:34 AM
Definatly don't have the media word in an outlined white.

Font is ok (meaning on the fence but its not the greatest or bad).

Business name and Logo tells me nothing of what you do. For major companies like Apple or something there is no need but for startup businesses its really important typically to put a slogan or something into your logo that will give people a STRONG sense of what you do.

The sphere in this last post is way too big!

I wouldn't do a 3D sphere. I'm not keen on any of the above spheres but I think if maybe you did something with this last mockup... smaller and not 3d looking then you might be on to something.

In all honesty I wouldn't call any of them "bad"... One of my jobs is working for a sign company so I can't ever keep my mouth shut on this stuff.

Keep up the good work : )

Interstellar Icon
04-04-2009, 04:23 AM
Thanks BV! I've made some changes to the logo, both before your post and as a result of your post. Here's the previous proof, followed by updated proofs - I'll detail the changes below:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/sphere_nine_logo_proof_v673-31.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/sphere_nine_logo_proof_v694-03.jpg

1. New font with adjusted kerning, sphere changed to circle and reduced in size, stroke added to circle, stroke and width of "9" reduced

2. Width of "9" further reduced

3. Size of symbol further reduced, stroke added to "nine"

4. Width of "9" further reduced

Please let me know your thoughts - what works, and what doesn't. For right now, I'm planning to use the logo below a description of my services in advertising, but once I'm using it as a "standalone" image, I'll add a description of my services or slogan below the logo.

Ove and Rob - I'm not ignoring your input, and I'll post here with what I've come up with sometime in the near future. :)

Sam

Corrosive
04-04-2009, 06:35 AM
I prefer number two Sam. Don't know why, just the one that jumps out at me.

Rob_Che
04-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Ove and Rob - I'm not ignoring your input, and I'll post here with what I've come up with sometime in the near future. :)

Sam
Please do - it's seems a little long winded just to design a logo but it is necessary and a journey you should get used to if you plan on making logos for customers.

Good work so far...

Rob

Interstellar Icon
07-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Hi All,

As promised, I'm back to give you some more information about what I'd like my logo to say about me and my company. Certainly a day late, but hopefully not a dollar short. ;-)

First of all, here's the final working version of my logo:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/sphere_nine_logo_v692_proofworking-.jpg

Here's what I'd like it to convey:

-I'm competent in the fields of graphic design (ironic, perhaps? :lol:), online marketing, and copywriting
-I'm able to represent intellectual concepts and ideas visually/graphically
-I'm a trustworthy and reliable partner
-I'm service-oriented and easy to work with
-My clients' success is important to me
-I take pride in my work, and I strive to do my very best for each of my clients.

As for my target audience, I'd say it's primarily small businesses right now. I've done some work for individuals, as well, and I'd like to do work for larger companies in the future.

I hope this is what you were looking for. If not, just steer me in the right direction, and I'll be happy to provide more. I'm interested to hear what you all have to say about this... :-D

Thanks,
Sam

Rob_Che
07-28-2009, 09:51 AM
It would be nice to get a shorthand version of it (its a bit big to use everywhere...)

d a v e
07-28-2009, 11:36 AM
It would be nice to get a shorthand version of it (its a bit big to use everywhere...)
looks a bit like a tv channel :)

Rob_Che
07-28-2009, 12:05 PM
looks a bit like a tv channel :)

*shrugs* I can only work with what I'm given :-)

Interstellar Icon
07-29-2009, 06:30 AM

Thanks Rob. Actually, the ring around the sphere in my logo is a tilted "9". Too obscure? Also, do you have any thoughts on what I want it to say about me and my company, and where it may succeed or fail?

And thanks for taking the time to work something up for me. I'm sure it took you all of three seconds, but it's the thought that counts. :grin:

Sam

Jittor
07-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Interesting post this is, as logo design can be one of the hardest designs. often changing the font of the second word "nine" will help make it stand out from the rest of the logo and give it more power. Then subtle shading helps to. Sometimes simple is best, your name is spherenine so keep the sphere simple - spheres on their own look cool so try leaving it as just a sphere. I think your trying to add to much to the sphere and it is making it look a little amateur. Also don't be afraid to use large kerning/tracking distances for slogans or secondary words like your "media". I put something together that I think will give you an idea of what I mean.

d a v e
07-29-2009, 04:47 PM
that's not a stretched nike swoosh is it? :)

Jittor
07-29-2009, 05:04 PM
that's funny, it kinda does look like that. Looks just as good with out the swoosh....we'll call it a swoop :)

Corrosive
07-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Or a Swish?

Rob_Che
07-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Personally, I wouldn't mix fonts on a logo (two weights of the same font maybe)...

I'd also try and avoid any image style gradients. It should work as flat colors on white and black... In my opinion.

Rob_Che
07-30-2009, 08:29 PM
looks a bit like a tv channel

With that thought I would be tempted to design my corporate site around that logo... like a news centre... latest news and papers on the desk... Headlines for portfolio... just a though :roll:

Jittor
07-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Rob_Che,

I agree to a point, when I develop a logo I design for flat colors on B&W as well as one with styles. Now a days people seem to want style and have move away from the corporate look a bit, but also want to be able to use their logo in letterheads and all that 2 color 4 color jazz. This is what I have found whit dealing with clients

Interstellar Icon
08-03-2009, 03:01 AM
Hey All,

Thanks very much for all of your input. Based on what everyone contributed, here are my thoughts:

Interesting post this is, as logo design can be one of the hardest designs. often changing the font of the second word "nine" will help make it stand out from the rest of the logo and give it more power. Then subtle shading helps to. Sometimes simple is best, your name is spherenine so keep the sphere simple - spheres on their own look cool so try leaving it as just a sphere. I think your trying to add to much to the sphere and it is making it look a little amateur. Also don't be afraid to use large kerning/tracking distances for slogans or secondary words like your "media". I put something together that I think will give you an idea of what I mean.

I like some of the concepts you came up with, and I plan to incorporate some of them into an updated design. Thanks for the effort! :grin:

Personally, I wouldn't mix fonts on a logo (two weights of the same font maybe)...

I'd also try and avoid any image style gradients. It should work as flat colors on white and black... In my opinion.

This falls in line with the limited training I've had on logo design, with the key concept being "simple".

Rob_Che,

I agree to a point, when I develop a logo I design for flat colors on B&W as well as one with styles. Now a days people seem to want style and have move away from the corporate look a bit, but also want to be able to use their logo in letterheads and all that 2 color 4 color jazz. This is what I have found whit dealing with clients

This is where I'm struggling a bit - my original design had a 3D sphere, which I like a lot better than the 2D circle, but I was persuaded to keep everything 2D. As it is now, I think the symbol in my logo has a "Jetsons" feel to it, which I really don't like (attached again below). Any ideas on how to make it less cartoonish, while keeping it 2D? If not, I'm thinking about going back to the sphere - I see a lot of other 3D logos that I really like, and I'm not sure I ever want to be as big as FedEx, anyway. ;-)

Thanks,
Sam

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/sphere_nine_logo_v692_proofworking-.jpg

edbr
08-03-2009, 03:43 AM
maybe just some shading/highlight on the globe

domedia
08-03-2009, 01:31 PM
I would drop the globe all together. It looks like it was thrown in there and is not made very well.

The height/width ratio of the word 'media' has some issues as well.

jtd
08-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Jittor's design is awesome

Interstellar Icon
08-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey All,

I've made some changes to the logo, and I'd like to get your input. Some of these changes were the result of your input (thank you :-D), and some just happened while I was working with the design.

Here's the new design:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/sphere_nine_logo_proof_v728-18.jpg

I like it much better than before, although I can't really say why - it just looks tighter to me now. I also have a few questions specific to the new design:

1. I'm still not crazy about the positioning of the word "media", but I can't seem to find a home for it. Everywhere I put it looks out of place. Any ideas? Or perhaps should I drop it from the logo entirely, and just go with "spherenine"?

2. The sphere in the middle of the "p" looks really "rough", for lack of a better term. Any suggestions as to how I can smooth it out?

3. This is really bizarre - the color of the sphere in the "p" is hex code #0000CC, which is the blue I want for the logo. The color of "nine" is hex code #333399. When I try to change the "nine" to #0000CC, it doesn't change the color in the logo, and when I go back in, it's been changed back to #333399. Any idea as to why this is happening, and what I can do to resolve it?

Thanks for any input or suggestions, and feel free to provide feedback on other elements if you're so inclined. :-D

Sam

Rob_Che
08-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Hey Sam !

1. I'm still not crazy about the positioning of the word "media", but I can't seem to find a home for it. Everywhere I put it looks out of place. Any ideas? Or perhaps should I drop it from the logo entirely, and just go with "spherenine"?

What does 'Media' mean to you? It's quite an old fashioned phrase in the development world... around 2000 (and before) everyone wanted to be "New Media" which really just meant that you'd swapped your Letraset for a PC. I'd drop it but what does it mean to you?

3. This is really bizarre - the color of the sphere in the "p" is hex code #0000CC, which is the blue I want for the logo. The color of "nine" is hex code #333399. When I try to change the "nine" to #0000CC, it doesn't change the color in the logo, and when I go back in, it's been changed back to #333399. Any idea as to why this is happening, and what I can do to resolve it?

When? Where? When does it change? ...in what program?

Cheers
Rob

Interstellar Icon
08-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Hey Rob,

Thanks for your help, as always. :-D

Hey Sam !

What does 'Media' mean to you? It's quite an old fashioned phrase in the development world... around 2000 (and before) everyone wanted to be "New Media" which really just meant that you'd swapped your Letraset for a PC. I'd drop it but what does it mean to you?

I'm using 'media' as the plural of 'medium'. I started with 'design', but wanted something more comprehensive in case I incorporated other media (e.g. photography, video, etc.) into my business in the future. At present, I'm incorporating some online marketing services into my business, and I may add other services in the future. I saw it used in a couple of other designers' business names, so I thought it would be a good way to go. Please let me know what it means to you, and how you'd expect it to "play" based on your experience.

When? Where? When does it change? ...in what program?

Cheers
Rob

Sorry..bitten by the old "too specific/not specific enough" bug. :roll: This is happening in Illustrator. I'm double-clicking on the 'Fill' icon in the left toolbar - this opens the 'Color Picker', and that's where I'm changing the color. I've got the Color Picker set on 'Only Web Colors'. If I click on the "swatch" of the color I want, it changes the data of the parameters on the right to those of the new color. But when I click the 'OK' button, the actual color on the logo hasn't changed. When I open the Color Picker again, the color indicated has changed back to the color it was before I changed it.

Hopefully that does it - lemme know what you think... :shock:

Thanks,
Sam

Interstellar Icon
08-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Hey All,

First off, I discovered the problem I was having with changing the "blue" in my logo was due to the fact that I had the document color mode set to CMYK, and the main color mode set to RGB. Hopefully that'll help someone else if they encounter a similar problem.

I've decided to remove the word "media" from the logo, and just have it in other places on my website, etc. I also want to add a tagline so that it's clear what my business is primarily about. Finally, I'm going to go with an outer space theme for my materials.

Here's the current version of the logo:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/sphere_nine_logo_v77website.png

I've come up with the following taglines:

-evolving design
-expanding design
-exploring design

I'd like to know which one you all prefer, and why. Also, if anyone else has any ideas they think may work better, I'm all ears. :-D

Thanks,
Sam

Jittor
02-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Sam,

I like the CMYK colors better. The blue is so bright and neon like, plus you loose a lot of the detail in the sphere. I agree with dropping the media, but I don't like any of your tag lines.

walkamongus
02-03-2010, 12:09 AM
sam great post, its fun watching the logo evolve as it has.

as far as a tag line, im actually liking it as it is... nice and clean. also something to consider, "design" is a very broad word. someone seeing only the logo wouldnt have a clue as to what type of design you mean.

another small critique... i like that you made the blue circle look more spherical, but the shading takes it a few notches darker and warmer than the blue of the text. i would consider maybe tweaking the shadows to bring some of that blue back.

overall sweet job!

Interstellar Icon
03-13-2010, 06:15 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your input, and sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. The logo has morphed a bit since my last post, so here's the current version as it appears on my business card:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/snm_business_card_v60_proof-fina-1.jpg

I've come up with a new tag line, so I'd be interested in any feedback on it - whether it works, or doesn't, and why. The tag line is going to be completely separate from the logo on my portfolio site, but I didn't have enough real estate to do that on my card.

another small critique... i like that you made the blue circle look more spherical, but the shading takes it a few notches darker and warmer than the blue of the text. i would consider maybe tweaking the shadows to bring some of that blue back.

I struggled with this mightily, so it's interesting that you pointed it out. What I found was happening was when I went for a 3-D effect it made the blue look different from the blue of the letters, and when I matched the blues I lost the 3-D effect. The image on my card is the "happy compromise" I ended up with. Let me know if you think it works, and if not, what I could do to have the best of both worlds. :-D

Any other suggestions or feedback welcomed, as well...

Thanks,
Sam

d a v e
03-13-2010, 10:43 AM
tagline would work nicely without the periods.
i.e. "Forward thinking design"
i don't like the dark blue on black (with white) colour scheme. it looks like a 90s sc-fi series.
if you are sticking with that colour scheme then to lighten the globe then use er, shadow on bottom left, and highlights (i.e. light than the normal blue) top right or take the sphere out of the text and maybe try it between sphere and nine

walkamongus
03-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Hey Guys,

I struggled with this mightily, so it's interesting that you pointed it out. What I found was happening was when I went for a 3-D effect it made the blue look different from the blue of the letters, and when I matched the blues I lost the 3-D effect. The image on my card is the "happy compromise" I ended up with. Let me know if you think it works, and if not, what I could do to have the best of both worlds. :-D

yeah i think its closer now :) what makes sense to me would be to make it so right where the shadow begins on the sphere is the blue for the text... or the other way around if that makes more sense.

tagline would work nicely without the periods.
i.e. "Forward thinking design"
i don't like the dark blue on black (with white) colour scheme. it looks like a 90s sc-fi series.

lol i see that too. i agree about the periods not doing it any good.

I think my biggest issue with it at this point is the lack of contrast between the logo and the background. I wonder what it would look like with solid white and something in the neighborhood of #307eff for the logo. Also, the one big star shape is robbing some serious contrast from the logo. Im not saying you should get rid of it, but its seriously competing for the viewers attention,, the same thing is happening on your website aswell. hope this helps :-)

domedia
03-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Agree on removing the periods form the tagline.
I wonder if the logo would look better if you removed the sphere all together.

The contrast is between black and white, so I don;t think you can make it any more 'contrasty'

walkamongus
03-14-2010, 06:10 AM
yeah without the sphere would be interesting to see. by "lack of contrast" im thinking it would be cool to see it with solid white "sphere", and solid blue "nine" (maybe a white stroke"), as its very transparent at the moment

d a v e
03-14-2010, 06:54 AM
couple of ideas
http://gekkoweb.com/stuff/sphere9-2.jpg
http://gekkoweb.com/stuff/sphere9.jpg

but to be honest the concept jsut doesn't work for me - if it was mine i would start again from scratch with those elements in mind :)

jaexavier
04-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Great progress on this logo!

Couple of things you want to consider (if you have not), are CYMK vs. RGB vs. Pantone (if you are going spot colors) in your image editing program.

Will you have your business cards, letter head, and etc. be sent to a service bureau (conventional press/ink jet)?

Interstellar Icon
04-07-2010, 04:36 AM
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who posted with suggestions, ideas, etc. I really appreciate it. (Special thanks to Dave for creating a couple of examples. :-D) I tried to take everyone's input into consideration, figure out what worked for me, and then moved forward from there. So here are some new concepts that I'd like input on:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/snm_logo_v9xwebsite-4-06.jpg

I'd be interested in knowing which version each of you like, and why, as well as any ideas you may have to make any of them better. I haven't included the tag line in these proofs, because it's going to be separate from the logo on my website. I am going to remove the periods (that seemed to be the consensus) for my website, and I'll remove them on my business card as soon as the current lot is expired.

Thanks again for all your input - it is appreciated... 8)

Sam

Interstellar Icon
04-07-2010, 04:39 AM
Great progress on this logo!

Couple of things you want to consider (if you have not), are CYMK vs. RGB vs. Pantone (if you are going spot colors) in your image editing program.

Will you have your business cards, letter head, and etc. be sent to a service bureau (conventional press/ink jet)?

Thanks for your feedback. :-D I'm focusing on RGB, as the logo is mainly for my website. For any print media (e.g. business cards, etc.), I'm using the closest Pantone values to the RGB. Is that what you were asking?

jaexavier
04-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks for your feedback. :-D I'm focusing on RGB, as the logo is mainly for my website. For any print media (e.g. business cards, etc.), I'm using the closest Pantone values to the RGB. Is that what you were asking?

Yes.

I like v9.3 btw. Simple and clean with a touch of personal continuity (that's what I see in your logo).

mangofreak
04-07-2010, 10:55 PM
I would agree with jaexavier. However, the white outline on your logo seems out of place, perhaps is the contrast in colours but it feels harsh. Also, the sphere gets lost on the black. I know, picky, right?

Keep at it, your almost there... :)

jaexavier
04-07-2010, 11:10 PM
I would agree with jaexavier. However, the white outline on your logo seems out of place, perhaps is the contrast in colours but it feels harsh. Also, the sphere gets lost on the black. I know, picky, right?

Keep at it, your almost there... :)

Correct! The white outline does seem out of place but it's there because of the dark background. He can use a faint glow but that will make it passe and trite.

mangofreak
04-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Yes, I understand. Also, if there was a need to scale down the logo the lines would become even thinner...not sure how well that will look.
The background...I would imagine that the background can change unless that's the only possibility. Perhaps testing against various backgrounds would provide a broader picture and more possibilities

colaroid
04-22-2010, 10:19 AM
For the sphere look into the free program pov-ray. The easiest thing you can do in this program is make a sphere, you can cover it in clouds, make it look shiny, you will be able to put a halo round it although this will take longer.

just a thought

gentleone
04-22-2010, 02:24 PM
...although this will take longer.

This thread (and thus this logo development process) is alive for one year now, so I don't think time is an issue :mrgreen:

Rob_Che
04-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Oh man - how many man hours in this logo ?? :D