PDA

View Full Version : learning from the professionals?

silverglade
03-30-2009, 05:36 PM
hi again. i am now studying professionally done templates and realizing now that im a css and photoshop newbie still even after 6 months. but at least im recognizing it. heres what im doing now. i open up the psd file in photoshop and study how they made it. then i open the index.html file and the css page and click in design view the design divs and various elements, and look at the css in the top right of dreamweaver. then i also use firebug to do the same thing. i stare at the code until i start to get a grasp of how the person used css on the page, so that i can reuse those techniques in my pages. im still not sure how im going to make full sites yet by studying the templates, (any ideas?) but i think i am making progress even though all im doing right now is staring at the page's css and design elements. do you think i should be doing anything else in addition? any help greatly appreciated again. thanks for all of the great suggestions before. derek:mrgreen:

davidj
03-30-2009, 05:53 PM
templates are just another car on the road

you need to learn the road.

ok

pointers

go and checkout sites you like and do a screen grab of them

then using dreamweaver try to replicate them {<< ok for learning} using the Code View

silverglade
03-30-2009, 08:28 PM
ok great thank you.:)

wayne78
04-22-2009, 11:43 AM
the w3schools is a good starting point at www.w3schools.com you can learn css and html for free you could also look at dreamweaver tutorials on you tube there are loads and well worth it...hope this helps.

Rob_Che
04-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Deconstucting a complex template will send you crazy. Do some basic CSS layout tutorials and learn the box model.

Google is your friend.

domedia
05-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Six months is a long time..
I think you should change your approach.

davidj
05-09-2009, 07:35 PM
steer away from 100% heights though!

Rob_Che
05-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Six months is a long time..
Is it? it is if you're doing it 24/7 I guess..

I've been photoshopping on and off for about 10 years and I still fall over regularly !

CSS is a whole other story...

domedia
05-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Is it? it is if you're doing it 24/7 I guess..

I've been photoshopping on and off for about 10 years and I still fall over regularly !

CSS is a whole other story...

I still learn new CSS stuff, don't get me wrong. But spending 6 months and not being able to put together a basic CSS layout is just not right.

DWcourse
05-09-2009, 08:20 PM
If you have Dreamweaver CS3 or CS4 use one of the built-in page layouts (in the New Document dialog they are listed in the Blank Page section with names like 2 column, elastic, right sidebar. Then take a look at the CSS file that Dreamweaver creates for you. It's very nicely commented and will give you a good idea of how the layout was created.

Rob_Che
05-09-2009, 08:23 PM
@ OVE: OK - that makes sense :)

As you say, a change of approach is needed. There's something VERY satisfying about getting a div to appear where you want it. I still lay my site out in lurid colors now - I still get a bit giddy when it works too !

Without being patronising, this is a good place to start: http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_intro.asp

Rob
:)

silverglade
05-10-2009, 05:41 AM
i can make decent layouts. look here

even though the code is a little rough because i redid some old code and its still a mess.

http://derekvanderven.com/websites.html

Rob_Che
05-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Derek... I'll use this as an example: http://derekvanderven.com/global_industries/index.html

You need to learn how the page 'flows'... you have bottom navigation located by top margins... that's not the way. You shouldn't be using absolute positioning to align paragraphs... Learn the box model and see how things float.

A site with every paragraph and image set with absolute positioning would be a mine-field to manage.

Not tryingto pull you apart Derek, (your enthusiasm is contagious!) but you need to nail laying a page out properly rather than filling a a portfolio with industry-specific mock-up sites.

My opinion anyway.
Once you have a good page layout and it works (ie: you can add text/links etc without having to reposition the div) then use that to make some mock-up sites maybe...

Rob

silverglade
05-10-2009, 04:30 PM
i will try to do the page again without using absolute positioning. thanks for the advice. are my other sites messed up too? please if you have time could you look at the css for them and tell me whats wrong so i can fix it? the doctor site is messed up right now beecause when i was redoing it i didnt put the css into a separage css file. thanks derek

silverglade
05-10-2009, 05:34 PM
i will try to do the page again without using absolute positioning. thanks for the advice. also, what do you mean about my navigation? should i get rid of that bottom navigation, and then move my navigation below the header? are my other sites messed up too? please if you have time could you look at the css for them and tell me whats wrong so i can fix it? the doctor site is messed up right now beecause when i was redoing it i didnt put the css into a separate css file. any more help GREATLY appreciated. thanks derek