PDA

View Full Version : files being skipped across versions and platforms

andrewplatham
03-30-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm using Dreamweaver CS3 on XP.

I've had a problem with Dreamweaver's FTP feature for several months now. I will try to upload a file, and only about 1/4 of the time, will it upload successfully.

I will sometimes get a message saying: "Some files were skipped during the last operation. A list of these files has been logged in the FTP log window". Then, that file, (index.html, for instance) will be deleted from the server. Often, it takes 7-10 tries to just upload one file.

other times, I'll get this error message instead "There was no response from the server while transferring the file "index.html" 2 attempts made" It doesn't matter whether i click "Try Again" or hit "Cancel" and try it again manually... still, only about 1/4 of the time it's successful.

In the FTP log, this is what it says, for instance: (This is just 1 example... it's happening across all 45 sites i manage)
=======================================
< 230 user logged in
> PWD
< 257 "/ksmk.org" is current directory
> PWD
The file "/ksmk.org/index.html" was skipped because the old remote file could not be deleted.
=========================================

Fixes I've tried: re-setting my firewall to allow dreamweaver access. using passive FTP. using ipv6 transfer mode. the only thing that seemed to work was deleting the setting of "Home Page" under the "Site Map Layout" tab in Advanced Settings. it would work flawlessly up to 2 or 3 times. But then, that setting would automatically be populated again, and i'm back to square one. I'm not going to go into the settings every time i want to upload something!

I gave up, and started using WS FTP instead. a pain, because i really like Dreamweaver's FTP better, but WS FTP is better than the frustration. i figured i was just doing something stupid.

But now, my brother in Texas, on Vista and CS4 is having the same exact problems. and, my friend 20 miles away on XP with CS3 is as well. so it's not just my problem. It's happening across ISP's, platforms, servers... every variable except Mac. I've been fine using dreamweaver on Macs... possibly just a PC issue?

any ideas and suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

thanks

-Andrew Latham.

Corrosive
03-30-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm using Dreamweaver CS3 on XP.

I've had a problem with Dreamweaver's FTP feature for several months now. I will try to upload a file, and only about 1/4 of the time, will it upload successfully.

I will sometimes get a message saying: "Some files were skipped during the last operation. A list of these files has been logged in the FTP log window". Then, that file, (index.html, for instance) will be deleted from the server. Often, it takes 7-10 tries to just upload one file.

other times, I'll get this error message instead "There was no response from the server while transferring the file "index.html" 2 attempts made" It doesn't matter whether i click "Try Again" or hit "Cancel" and try it again manually... still, only about 1/4 of the time it's successful.

In the FTP log, this is what it says, for instance: (This is just 1 example... it's happening across all 45 sites i manage)
=======================================
< 230 user logged in
> PWD
> PWD
The file "/ksmk.org/index.html" was skipped because the old remote file could not be deleted.
=========================================

Fixes I've tried: re-setting my firewall to allow dreamweaver access. using passive FTP. using ipv6 transfer mode. the only thing that seemed to work was deleting the setting of "Home Page" under the "Site Map Layout" tab in Advanced Settings. it would work flawlessly up to 2 or 3 times. But then, that setting would automatically be populated again, and i'm back to square one. I'm not going to go into the settings every time i want to upload something!

I gave up, and started using WS FTP instead. a pain, because i really like Dreamweaver's FTP better, but WS FTP is better than the frustration. i figured i was just doing something stupid.

But now, my brother in Texas, on Vista and CS4 is having the same exact problems. and, my friend 20 miles away on XP with CS3 is as well. so it's not just my problem. It's happening across ISP's, platforms, servers... every variable except Mac. I've been fine using dreamweaver on Macs... possibly just a PC issue?

any ideas and suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

thanks

-Andrew Latham.

Dreamweaver FTP just ain't all that good. I agree with you about how useful it is when it works. I still end up using it but other alternatives can be more reliable.

davidj
03-30-2009, 06:02 PM
use DW to build locally

use Filezilla or coffee cup or others to do the FTP biz

problem will be gone!

as a meerkat once said. Simples!