PDA

View Full Version : question about job skills for a web design job

silverglade
03-29-2009, 06:31 PM
hi, i was wondering if anyone knows if i could get a job for a web design company with just these skills: html css and photoshop, and a php contact form?
i want to get a job fairly soon after i learn about more, and i want to learn php, but not yet because it would probably take like a year. also, i dont really want to learn flash although i know some of it. any help greatly appreciated. thanks. derek

davidj
03-29-2009, 10:24 PM
its down to experience really. Infact i reckon its one of the only I.T jobs which is based on merit as apposed to a qualification.

employers look for an excellent portfolio. This is key and there is no shortcut. You need at least a dozen sites so the employer can see your master pieces. These can be mock ups if you haven't done any commercial work.

The trouble is you cant teach design! Your born with it so you better be good. There are some cracking designers out there.

/////////////////////////

i could get a job for a web design company with just these skills: html css and photoshop, and a php contact form?

PHP is a programming language which you have to learn. Taking along your own contact form to an interview wont add any weight to your application. Its not like taking your own JCB to a construction site!

i want to learn php, but not yet because it would probably take like a year

I would advise that you learn now. If you put off you will never get it done. There is nothing to be scared of you know! if you want to learn i can help and it wont take a year

thats it really

the more skills you have the better chance of a job

domedia
03-30-2009, 02:59 AM
the more skills you have the better chance of a job
-or if you're *really* good at a certain thing, that could be plenty as well for a great freelance life. I've met people that only do logos, or only do information architecture, you catch my drift.

davidj
03-30-2009, 05:59 AM
yes there are jobs for Web Content and Copy Editors etc. These normally come under Marketing rather than I.T

Try visiting your favorite Job Search site and key in HTML, CSS as keywords and you will see what employers want from a designer / developer

Rob_Che
03-30-2009, 09:11 AM
As DJ says - portfolio is king for design jobs.

You need to build a body of sites that are 'finished' - these don't have to be client sites but need to show excellent working practices and tidy code/design. You need to be able to jump in the code and edit them too.

If you're looking at working on front end design I would suggest you start to learn jQuery too as a lot of companies are now using it and I think it would be expected at the design stage - raher than relying on someone else to programme in your plans.

Try visiting your favorite Job Search site and key in HTML, CSS as keywords and you will see what employers want from a designer / developer
Good idea. Have a look at what other companies are doing too - look at the quality of fit-and-finish and even try and emulate some effects they have done. Clients often use 'I want that one' when designing their own sites you will need to know how other sites are built. Get Firebug and start disembowling sites !

RC

cocoonfx
03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Build a portfolio and develop your knowledge. People often say there an expert after just building one page of code. Best thing is to do a search you will probably find something but don't expect to get the best salary if your just starting out.

You may want to consider doing another job to get you doe and then do the web design learning at home.

I have been in interviews for apprentices and they wanted laptop,healthcare, car and mobile in the package. They where shown the door.

silverglade
03-30-2009, 01:46 PM
great thanks very much for all that help. im going to go to some very professional looking free templates and dissect them like im doing now. so that im learning the professional way to slice up pages in PS, and good photoshp designs, as well as the CSS to the page which is more detailed than my pages by far . hehe. but i guess if i dissect enough professional templates and absorb enough website designs, i may get a feel for it and gain the skill eventually (sigh) boy does it take a lot of time. i thought web design was going to be like a few months deal, but ive already been learning it for 6 months on my own, and im still a newbie, however, i know way more than i did 6 months ago. there is a post in here where i was asking domedia how to put text on a web page and he was unbelievable patient with me . LOL. looking back on that post its pretty funny. thank you. derek

davidj
03-30-2009, 01:54 PM
your always a noob at something

im a noob at being ugly...... In fact i havnt even started yet!

Corrosive
03-30-2009, 02:53 PM
im a noob at being ugly

Blimey! That makes you a really fast learner :wink:

(I'll shut up now in case my support disappears...)

Rob_Che
03-30-2009, 04:00 PM
I've attached an ad I found in phonebox near me... scary.

Corrosive
03-30-2009, 05:18 PM
I've attached an ad I found in phonebox near me... scary.

You are a funny man...with too much time on his hands :lol:

davidj
03-30-2009, 05:23 PM
You are a funny man

i have to disagree!