PDA

View Full Version : Site Management Using ASP Javascript Server Model

Beeky
03-29-2009, 04:45 PM
I suspect this is a bit basic but I am really stuck. I am creating a new web site and want to use a login/register script and an access database. I was going to use ASP Javascript as the server model. My problem is this: I should say at first I want to be able to test everything on my laptop before putting the site on the web. I am using Windows Professional and Dreamweaver MX 2004. Having tried to set up the site using the Manage Site menu option I keep getting a navigation error when I try to open the site in a browser. These are the setting I am using so what I am doing wron:

Local Info:

Site Name: BKSolutions
Local Root Folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Bernard Kane\My Documents\BKSolutions\
Default Images folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Bernard Kane\My Documents\BKSolutions\
Http address: http://LocalHost/

Remote Info: None

Testing Server:
Server model: ASP Javascript
Access: Local/Network
Testing Server Folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Bernard Kane\My Documents\BKSolutions\

I have clearly got something very wrong but I don't know what - can anyone help please?

Beeky

Corrosive
03-29-2009, 05:12 PM
I suspect this is a bit basic but I am really stuck. I am creating a new web site and want to use a login/register script and an access database. I was going to use ASP Javascript as the server model. My problem is this: I should say at first I want to be able to test everything on my laptop before putting the site on the web. I am using Windows Professional and Dreamweaver MX 2004. Having tried to set up the site using the Manage Site menu option I keep getting a navigation error when I try to open the site in a browser. These are the setting I am using so what I am doing wron:

Local Info:

Site Name: BKSolutions
Local Root Folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Bernard Kane\My Documents\BKSolutions\
Default Images folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Bernard Kane\My Documents\BKSolutions\
Http address: http://LocalHost/

Remote Info: None

Testing Server:
Server model: ASP Javascript
Access: Local/Network
Testing Server Folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Bernard Kane\My Documents\BKSolutions\

I have clearly got something very wrong but I don't know what - can anyone help please?

Beeky

You sure you don't need some kind of testing server running on your machine for this? I haven't used ASP but PHP needs WAMP or similar running to test PHP driven websites.

Beeky
03-29-2009, 05:28 PM
I have Microsoft IIS

davidj
03-30-2009, 05:48 AM
change to php and we can help

edbr
03-30-2009, 06:02 AM
better not to use iss, wamp xampp apache2triad are self installing apache servers with php and are more likely to be a similar setup you will find on the web

davidj
03-30-2009, 06:07 AM
ed

you normally use ISS when writing ASP

i sugest that Beeky try PHP at this early stage and then he has this fantastic forum to help him on his journey

edbr
03-30-2009, 06:24 AM
yes i know, i was hinting the same, maybe not very well though

mangofreak
04-02-2009, 03:58 AM
So, you have IIS. Did you enable asp on your server?
did you test the server after you installed it? if everything tested ok. then you can create a directory have it as remote and simulate the whole process of uploading the files to server.

Beeky
07-31-2009, 04:37 PM
Now changed to php and wamp. All working fine thanks. Next problem will be when upload and running live but not quite there yet.