PDA

View Full Version : editable regions & css in dw

xKaotikxKreationsx
03-27-2009, 02:14 AM
I'm taking web design(I) and am having troubles with the css. My assignments changed the look of my site every week. My teacher wants me to attach the external style sheet(styles.css) to every page so there is a uniformity on my site. OK NOW-----
When I originally made my index.html I used that as a template for my other pages(contact.html, gallery.html etc) and had to use editable regions. This concept is a little confusing, because I don't know how to now attach the styles.css to each page.(when its un-editable due to my not selecting the entire page, but just the content and navigation area)
My question is - Can I go back to my index.html and re-do the template, including re-doing the editable regions to include everything, then if possible link the styles.css to everything. But thats easier said than done... I'm trying to figure out HOW to do this. here is my site(remind you its very basic since I'm just starting out) http://kaotikkreations.com so you can understand better...

edbr
03-27-2009, 02:24 AM
foggy with template but if you alter the template to link to the css sheet (in the <head> then update , thats all you have to do isnt it isnt it?
do you have
if you have now in <style> that is and not inline styling

xKaotikxKreationsx
03-27-2009, 02:29 AM
foggy with template but if you alter the template to link to the css sheet (in the <head> then update , thats all you have to do isnt it isnt it?
do you have
if you have now in <style> that is and not inline styling

YES I bet that will totally work!!!! I will try to wake up fresh tomorrow and give it a whirl. I haven't actually worked on the style sheet FULLY yet, I will have to go through the code to see the last part of your reply.

domedia
03-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Make sure your template file is called something like template.dwt and not index.html. If you are using DW's template system, it has to be called .dwt.

Just create a new editable are in your template and stick the link to the external CSS file in there. When you apply the template to all your pages, they will now have the link the the HEAD part of their code.

xKaotikxKreationsx
03-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Thank you for the reply. that actually worked. I re-did the template(main.dwt) and included the whole document as an editable region, allowing me to alter the other pages. Maybe took me a little over an hour? Since this is a beginning web design course, my site is semi-basic, yet functional. I can't wait for my 2nd_intermediate web design course. Thanks for the help!

Corrosive
03-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Thank you for the reply. that actually worked. I re-did the template(main.dwt) and included the whole document as an editable region, allowing me to alter the other pages. Maybe took me a little over an hour? Since this is a beginning web design course, my site is semi-basic, yet functional. I can't wait for my 2nd_intermediate web design course. Thanks for the help!

Just checking. You made your whole document and editable region?? This kind of defeats the object of templates doesn't it?

domedia
03-30-2009, 02:41 AM
It does. If the whole page is an editable region, then don't use templates at all, they have no function anymore.

edbr
03-30-2009, 03:25 AM
you could always look into usingincludes which is my preference over templates