PDA

View Full Version : IE vs. Firefox - Newbie

jumpuh
03-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Why do my webpages look different in IE and Firefox. I designed and looked at them with IE. Someone pointed out to me that the alignment is wrong when viewing with Firefox.
Is there some way I can lock the pages so they look the same in all browsers?

Thank you,
Jumpuh

domedia
03-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Hi jumpuh, the browser have different rendering engines so part of the job is knowing how they all work.

jumpuh
03-27-2009, 12:21 AM
So what do I do if they look different in each? I don't know how they work but have to make this work. I built the page around IE (looking back and forth). Now I find out that it's totally messed up with firefox??

Thanks

jumpuh
03-27-2009, 04:25 AM
Why do my webpages look different in IE and Firefox. I designed and looked at them with IE. Someone pointed out to me that the alignment is wrong when viewing with Firefox.
Is there some way I can lock the pages so they look the same in all browsers?

Thank you,
Jumpuh

edbr
03-27-2009, 04:39 AM
code or URL

jumpuh
03-27-2009, 04:48 AM
URL

Everything looks good in Dreamweaver but then when I view it in a browser it looks different in IE than in Firefox.

I built the site glancing back and forth in IE. Never though about Firefox...

d a v e
03-27-2009, 04:59 AM
URL

lolo - that's classic!

can we have a link to the page or can you post the code please ;)

jumpuh
03-27-2009, 05:05 AM
Sure but don't laugh. This is my first real site in Dreamweaver.

m-mltd.com/test/site/index.html

You'll notice my table on the bottom is off as well. To much space in between cells?? That was probably my next question.

Thanks!!

domedia
03-27-2009, 04:39 PM
lolo - that's classic! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

domedia
03-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Sure but don't laugh. This is my first real site in Dreamweaver.

m-mltd.com/test/site/index.html

You'll notice my table on the bottom is off as well. To much space in between cells?? That was probably my next question.

Thanks!!

Maybe part of the problem is that you're trying to design the site by using a table column/row system which is meant for tabular data (think excel).

Do you have access to a validator? The table code is broke and it might just be what can fix everything for you:
</tr>
<tr>

</td>
</tr>

jumpuh
03-27-2009, 04:58 PM
domedia -

I don't know what a validator is? k don't laugh. I told you that I am a newbie.

Your help is really appreciated!!

Corrosive
03-28-2009, 10:45 AM
domedia -

I don't know what a validator is? k don't laugh. I told you that I am a newbie.

Your help is really appreciated!!

OK, a validator can be found here... http://www.w3.org/ Look down the left hand side and you will see a HTML validator and a CSS validator. Put your web page address into the HTML validator and it will tell you where the mistakes/issues are in your code. Use this as a development tool as you go along.