PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question - How would you go about creating this website?

jaus101
03-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Hey all,

First post, great to be here:-D.

So I've been designing my first ever web page for some time now, familiarizing myself with different techniques etc.

I'm trying to design a website that looks basically like the pic below, but am finding it challenging. So I first decided to buy the template - but it proved not to be a liquid layout - rather photoshop-sliced then chucked in a html :x. Then I decided to slice my own layout, and try apply it to a liquid layout, but that didn't work too well. One thing thats boggling me is that the background/bottom nav menu needs to be liquid, but the content box needs to stay the same size - is this possible?

So how would you go about designing this website?

I thought I'd put it out there and get some expert advice, cause I just dunno which way to go. Css? Slice it? Abandon my hopes of liquid layout altogether? (I really don't want to do this!)

I want a website that:

has a liquid layout (or at least suffices for 1024px up)
is css-based preferably
has an opaque area where the big brown content is (best case scenario), otherwise I guess the big brown content box will have to do.Thanks for any help guys,

J

domedia
03-26-2009, 05:46 PM
I would forget about making that design liquid, I does not lend itself easily to a liquid solution.
Make sure the content stays in center and that you have a very wide background for people with very high horizontal resolution on their boxes.
CSS is part of web standards, so there's no way around it really.

jaus101
03-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Damn... but is it possible to have a liquid background and a fixed box on top? like in the photo, except the brown box does not move?

edbr
03-30-2009, 02:13 AM
look at position fixed