PDA

View Full Version : Firefox and IE conflicts

chode
03-23-2009, 12:55 AM
hey guys,

Jus t working on my first site and thought it was going fine until this page http://www.aviation-consulting.com.au/NTS.html started playing up in IE.

It looks exactly how I want it in Firefox but in IE it has two slight problems. First if you look below the grey, white and orange banner with logo there is a white gap in IE but none in Firefox.

Secondly the horizontal rule's in IE are spaced apart a lot more then I want. Once again in FF they are fine.

From looking at the (Im sure dodgy) code would it be possible to see why? Or is this something you can't really do anything about?

Thanks a lot.

edbr
03-23-2009, 01:55 AM
have you validated it? it is showing a few warnings.
<link href="css/dropline_one.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
is in the head and also in the page maybe you could clean up the code afirst then see what errors you are left with

chode
03-23-2009, 02:21 AM
thanks for your reply.

I will have a go at cleaning it up. Im still at the stage where touching code Im not 100% about tends to make things go wrong though. I just downloaded the latest version of all the browsers and the above problem seems to only exist on older versions as its fine now.

Thanks again for your help.

Corrosive
03-23-2009, 08:19 AM
thanks for your reply.

I will have a go at cleaning it up. Im still at the stage where touching code Im not 100% about tends to make things go wrong though. I just downloaded the latest version of all the browsers and the above problem seems to only exist on older versions as its fine now.

Thanks again for your help.

IE6 is, in my experience, the toughest to get right. Shame that still quite a few people use it. Good luck.

chode
03-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Yeah Im starting to see that. Big pain in the arse! Seeing as though its working fine in the newer browsers hopefully there will be more consistancy across the browsers in the future and it won't be so much of a problem.

Cheers

Corrosive
03-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Big pain in the arse! Seeing as though its working fine in the newer browsers hopefully there will be more consistancy across the browsers in the future and it won't be so much of a problem.

Cheers

I don't think any of use would disagree with this sentiment. IE6 is terrible, IE7 is slightly better and IE8...well that remains to be seen but, from first impressions, it seems to be OK(ish). You can always target the kind of browsers your audience are likely to be using. Websites aimed at Mac users, Safari. Websites aimed at designers well, probably FF, Chrome, Safari etc. Unfortunately sites aimed at the general public could be anything and that includes IE6. It is well worth doing some background reading on browser differences and how to deal with them if you are serious about designing professionally. Start here...

http://www.netmechanic.com/products/Browser-Tutorial.shtml

...it's a pretty comprehensive piece on browsers.

Good luck (again).

Ricky55
03-23-2009, 02:43 PM
IE6 is poor but its inconsistencies are predicable and well documented. Once you know how it handles CSS then it becomes quite easy to rectify most problems or even add code so they don't arise in the first place.

Keep your chin up.

chode
03-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I'll check that link out Corrosive.