PDA

View Full Version : Dream PC to Design Websites

kremo5le
03-19-2009, 05:27 AM
Hey guys,

I'm already seeing that my computer is lacking some processing power here an there. I open 2 or 3 Adobe programs, then I got Skype running, MSN, Firefox and other 3 browsers, my Thunderbird, etc., everyday and sometimes is just too much for the computer.

I'm currently using a Pentium D 900, 3GB of non-buffered RAM, Windows XP SP3, 2 300 GB non-raid HDD, and I don't know what else I could include here.

What do you recommend? My motherboard is fairly new and it is expandable to Intel Quad Core.

k.

domedia
03-19-2009, 05:49 AM
'etc' ? What does that mean? If you're looking for a computer that can run an unlimited amount of applications at the same time, you're out of luck ;-)

kremo5le
03-19-2009, 05:52 AM
'etc' ? What does that mean? If you're looking for a computer that can run an unlimited amount of applications at the same time, you're out of luck ;-)

Hello there,

I have worked building all sort of computer systems for the past 9 years. I can just go ahead and build what I think is right. However, and if this is too hard for you to answer (just kidding), I need some suggestions as what might be an ideal computer setup for website design (if any in particular). I'm thinking of a HDD raid setup + a quad core CPU, and some server strength RAM. However, would RAID be ideal? Will a Quad Core work fine with the Adobe applications? What sever type of memory should I buy? Memory RAM coolers? Case temperature?

Thank you for your post anyhow,

k.

edbr
03-19-2009, 05:58 AM
improving your pc wont help you design betterr sites. ever heard of if it aint broke dont fixit? if you have that experience surely you have your own opinion its dreamweaver not nasa

kremo5le
03-19-2009, 06:01 AM
improving your pc wont help you design betterr sites. ever heard of if it aint broke dont fixit? if you have that experience surely you have your own opinion its dreamweaver not nasa

Brother,

I don't want to design better sites by getting a better computer. I guess you didn't understand neither. Just as you would need some computer power to run a music recording studio, you would also need a good setup to run a few applications flawlessly. It seems that Dreamweaver experts don't have a clue about computers (or SEO).

Thank you, but I think this might not be the best forum to ask!

Take care,

k.

edbr
03-19-2009, 06:55 AM
no there must be one for posers somewhere

domedia
03-19-2009, 07:03 AM
It seems that Dreamweaver experts don't have a clue about computers (or SEO). It's true, I don't know much about computers, it's not my field at all. Did you ask a SEO question I missed? Just provide a link to the thread and I'll look at it.

davidj
03-19-2009, 07:45 AM
eh

that was mental

i was almost expecting some praise aimed at one of our banned members we all know and love

Corrosive
03-19-2009, 01:34 PM
eh

that was mental

i was almost expecting some praise aimed at one of our banned members we all know and love

This is a great thread, considering all you really need to build a website is notepad! I think that the technical requirements for running DW will be on the box, no? Otherwise, ask Adobe.

kremo5le
03-21-2009, 01:24 AM
It's true, I don't know much about computers, it's not my field at all. Did you ask a SEO question I missed? Just provide a link to the thread and I'll look at it.

Just trying to get some help here. Don't you guys tell me that a Pentium 2 computer will run DW CS flawlessly. I'm working with video, Adobe products (not precisely the lightest software available), and also running Skype, making phone calls through the cable, etc. RAM memory sometimes lags due to over load, or heat. But, it isn't the only problem.

If you don't know about computers that's fine. I just got a few "smart ass"replies on top that simply didn't help.

I apologize for, even though it is true for the most part, about designers not knowing about SEO.

Any help?

k.

kremo5le
03-21-2009, 01:29 AM
This is a great thread, considering all you really need to build a website is notepad! I think that the technical requirements for running DW will be on the box, no? Otherwise, ask Adobe.

I'm sorry to say, but this is another reply that does not help in any way. Old machine = slow performance. Is that hard to see? Moreover, if you design with WordPad, then why are you part of the DW Forum? :confused:

Makes no sense,

k.

Rob_Che
03-21-2009, 01:33 AM
I need to upgrade my PC - It locks up really easily and is a new (re)build.

I have 1G of RAM and a 2.6G processor - After that I'm lost. i was surprised by the posts above a little - was the question really that out of line?

I was going to ask a very similar question...

How about: What PC specs do people run and get good reliable service/processing? Say you have Adobe PS & DW open - does your PC die of heart failure?

OR: If you were looking to buy an off the shelf PC, what are the main things you would look for?

RC

kremo5le
03-21-2009, 01:42 AM
I need to upgrade my PC - It locks up really easily and is a new (re)build.

I have 1G of RAM and a 2.6G processor - After that I'm lost. i was surprised by the posts above a little - was the question really that out of line?

I was going to ask a very similar question...

How about: What PC specs do people run and get good reliable service/processing? Say you have Adobe PS & DW open - does your PC die of heart failure?

OR: If you were looking to buy an off the shelf PC, what are the main things you would look for?

RC

Hey Rob,

Good point. What I want is better performance. Again, I build computers and I'm usually approached based on video game playing, business, or just Internet browser type of setting. However, I know see my computer lacks a bit of power and I though there was an optimal setup for website design.

I think that it is important to have a system that will deliver without crashing (my doesn't do it; just exaggerating).

Again, why would a gamer know what to buy and not a website designer when it comes to build a computer? Sounds like, what most people state here, that designers go to best buy blindfolded and pick the first computer the can find. :roll:

edbr
03-21-2009, 03:00 AM
buy what you need , not what marketers like to sell you.
processor 1.5 mz memory 512 will run DW, if you like to play games a lot address that issue.
if you get better and use note pad or html-kit of course you need even less.
if you want to look flashy for the neighbours you could of course put some Christmas light on your set up.

Rob_Che
03-21-2009, 09:13 AM
buy what you need , not what marketers like to sell you. processor 1.5 mz memory 512 will run DW, if you like to play games a lot address that issue. if you get better and use note pad or html-kit of course you need even less.
That doesn't factor in Photoshop or Illustrator (or Firefox eating your CPU!)

if you want to look flashy for the neighbours you could of course put some Christmas light on your set up.

I think there is a discussion to be had here - somewhere between 'minimum DW requirements' and 'the ultimate PC' - I don't think that's what kremo5le is asking. Why are people so loath to discuss it? - Am I missing something?

What spec is everyone running and why? I think the graphics card is my weak point.

Cheers
RC

davidj
03-21-2009, 10:56 AM
kremo5le

forgive my ignorance but when you refer to SEO what do you mean?

I know this as Search Engine Optimization

What do you have this as?

domedia
03-24-2009, 03:16 AM
If you don't know about computers that's fine. I just got a few "smart ass"replies on top that simply didn't help.

I apologize for, even though it is true for the most part, about designers not knowing about SEO.

Any help?

k.

SEO is part of my job description, but I'm not sure which thread you are referring to. :confused:

Rob_Che
03-24-2009, 09:19 AM
SEO is part of my job description, but I'm not sure which thread you are referring to. :confused:
I never got that bit either... maybe we missed something ?

davidj
03-24-2009, 10:20 AM
buzz word bingo

heard a new word so lets see if i can drop it into a post and make people believe I'm Tim Berners-Lee

Ok to answer your question. I would ask the vendor for a machine which is XML compatible... I think NIVIDA have a card for this but its expensive. Ask him. Also make sure you have the machine optimised for TCP/IP else it may over heat. A good heat sink will help with this. You should look for a hard drive with about 10 Terra Bytes of space so i doesn't choke when downloading the internet!

blanchard
03-24-2009, 11:18 AM
hello Kremo5le,
If i found that my pc or mac was struggling to run all the apps needed, then for the cheapest option not run as many apps at once. Or i'd telephone a pc or mac shop and tell them you want to buy a pc or mac and list all the apps you need it to run all at the same time and see what they tell you.

davidj
03-24-2009, 11:23 AM
id give this a shot

especially for Dreamweaver using SPRY

http://www.appro.com/product/server_xtremex1_xeon.asp