PDA

View Full Version : Protecting images.

daveworrall
03-18-2009, 06:40 PM
How do you prevent people right-clicking your images and downloading them?

coloeagle
03-18-2009, 06:55 PM
How do you prevent people right-clicking your images and downloading them?

You can't stop people from getting your images if they want them. What you can do is add a water mark to the images, this will at least discourage most people.

Corrosive
03-18-2009, 06:57 PM
You can't stop people from getting your images if they want them. What you can do is add a water mark to the images, this will at least discourage most people.

You can disable right click with javascript but as Colo rightly says, if someone wants your images and they are in the public domain, i.e. on the web and not in a password protected area, then they will just find your images folder and download them.

daveworrall
03-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks for your reply.
I thought that too. But apparently there IS a way to stop them right-clicking images.

Corrosive
03-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks for your reply.
I thought that too. But apparently there IS a way to stop them right-clicking images.

Yes I said. Look at javascript options. Maybe jquery or mootools. Google it.

Ricky55
03-18-2009, 07:31 PM
pointless execise, it only works in IE.

To be honest I find this really annoying too, prevent browser functionaility is not the way to do things.

Just use a watermark thats the only way. Thats why all the stock image libraries on the web use them.

domedia
03-19-2009, 04:18 AM
Thanks for your reply.
What's the point?
There is no benefit to this.

d a v e
03-19-2009, 02:40 PM
What's the point?
There is no benefit to this.

there is
a) remove their hands/or anything else they might press the button with
b) remove their right mouse button (or the single button on a one-button mac mouse)

richcodesign
03-19-2009, 05:02 PM
You can disable the right click download, but ppl can still drag the image to their desktop!

Hunter86
03-19-2009, 05:06 PM
i have drawn apdivs over images before stops people right clicking on them but as said above they can still get them of the server

speedyalice
03-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Dave, I asked the same question last year and was told by several people that disabling the right-click function is annoying to many people, since the right-click button has several functions and some people customize it, as well. Taking away the option to use right-click on a web page might potentially alienate visitors to your website. I hadn't considered that angle, so I was glad to get that advice before inadvertently angering people visiting my website. :)

In addition, most people can easily get around disabling of the right-click button and take your pictures if they want. The advice to me was to use watermarks and put notices on the website that copying pictures without permission is not allowed. It probably won't stop some people from copying them anyway, but I decided to be content with those measures.

Good luck!

domedia
03-24-2009, 02:07 AM
I also think that people that are used to right clicking on a website instead of getting the images in regular ways, think that everyone else use are right clicking. Once you can view an image in your browser, it's already downloaded to your computer.