PDA

View Full Version : SWF Not Playing Back On Web

kdengs
03-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Hi everyone,

I tried this on another forum and didn't get a response so I'm hoping someone here can help. I'm having the hardest time getting my SWF video file created in Flash CS4 to properly playback in Dreamweaver, with the skin, and on the web.

I began with my .mov and created the SWF in Flash. I set it to auto play false, set the skin I liked, and all other properties how I like them in the Component Inspector window. I saved and exported the SWF. In Dreamweaver CS4 I am able to bring the SWF in and save/put the file onto my root folder hosting server along with the separate skin that Flash created. When I go to preview on the web the video will not play at all, it won't even preview in Dreamweaver under the properties window...

What am I doing wrong here? I have all the proper files uploaded to my hosting server root folder and the SWF plays fine in a SWF player.

I even tried making a separate flash with auto play - true and it would play that way just fine on web preview, but with no skin.

Any suggestions? I'm knid of new to this, but have a pretty good grasp so far (I think)...

Thanks!

edbr
03-17-2009, 01:38 AM
are you embeding the swf , best method is swfobject, if you are have you uploaded the javascript

kdengs
03-17-2009, 01:46 AM
I'm sorry I don't know what you mean exactly. Can you please elaborate?

I have the SWF and the accompanying files uploaded to the hosting site. I've tried putting them together, separate, and into folders exactly as they are in my source folder and I still can't get it...

edbr
03-17-2009, 01:54 AM
to use a swf object you need to embed it into a page, it requires a javascript to embed it. DW since cs4 uses SWFOBJECT, earlier versions use a different method

Rob_Che
03-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Do you have the file path and/or a link to the page you're trying to view it on?

Cheers
Rob

kdengs
03-17-2009, 01:23 PM
to use a swf object you need to embed it into a page, it requires a javascript to embed it. DW since cs4 uses SWFOBJECT, earlier versions use a different method

I'm not sure what you mean by embed? I usually go to insert media type SWF. Is that what you mean? I thought that was the correct way to insert a video.

When i do it this way however I can't even preview the vidoe within Dreamweaver.

kdengs
03-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Do you have the file path and/or a link to the page you're trying to view it on?

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob, here is the link to the page that is not functioning properly. You can see the big void space where the SWF is placed. Does this help?

http://kellendengler.com/work.strictlyfitteds.html

edbr
03-18-2009, 01:37 AM
you have this which seems to me to be left over from a different embeding teqnique although Rob is more of a flasher than me!
<script type="text/javascript">
AC_FL_RunContent( 'codebase','http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0','width','480','height ','270','id','FLVPlayer','src','FLVPlayer_Progress ive','flashvars','&MM_ComponentVersion=1&skinName=Corona_Skin_3&streamName=Videos/SF_Nigel&autoPlay=false&autoRewind=false','quality','high','scale','noscal e','name','FLVPlayer','salign','lt','pluginspage', 'http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash','movi e','FLVPlayer_Progressive' ); //end AC code
</script><noscript>
</noscript>

kdengs
03-18-2009, 01:10 PM
OK so if I delete all of that html that might solve the issue? Looking at it now I know what it is. It is how I previously had the page set up.

Just to clarify the files I will need hosted onto the root html folder are:
- The SWF file
- The JavaScript

These will go accordingly into folders how I have them stored in my Dreamweaver project folder correct?

edbr
03-19-2009, 01:13 AM
yes it asks to save them then upload them to your server

kdengs
03-20-2009, 01:00 AM
OK, so I deleted that leftover html from my previous page setup and IT STILL doesn't play back correctly... What else should I try???

kdengs
03-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Also, to be extra clear - the SWF will not play in Dreamweaver either. It never did. It plays in SWF or VLC player just fine though...

kdengs
03-23-2009, 05:43 PM
I still can't figure thsi one out. Did any of the other code look out of place to you? I don't know what else to do. The SWF file plays fine in a standalone SWF Player or VLC but won't preview in Dreamweaver or on the web preview.

Should I rebuild the page completely?

I'm stumped here...

kdengs
03-24-2009, 02:02 PM
I figured this one out. What was happening was that Flash by default was only creating a reference SWF file from the Flash project. It was not embedding the FLV into the SWF for playback in Dreamweaver or on the web. When I tried to re-encode my original .MOV I noticed an option to embed the FLV within the SWF for playback. I selected it and it opened up Adobe Media Encoder and did it for me. It works perfectly now. Thanks for your help!

Rob_Che
03-26-2009, 10:36 PM
OK cool - I've not used embedded FLVs - wished we could have been more help ! Glad you got it sorted though.

Rob