PDA

View Full Version : Big Template Problem!

oni3350
03-14-2009, 05:38 AM
ok im new and getting started in templates and got a HUGE problem!

Ok so i have a layout i made in Photo Shop, sliced it up, moved it over to DW with the html, then i converted the tables to divs...

Now i save that as a template and click on "yes" to update the links.
I go and create my editable area and then save.
Then i create a new page and open up the template i just made, And when i do this all my images for the layout have the src= link thing going to the FULL directory. That is::: file:///C|/Documents and Settings/oni3350/Desktop/Exclusive XXX Offers/EXCLUSIVE ZONE/images/Exclusive-Zone.jpg

So this creates a BIG problem when uploading to the web!

I did try clicking "no" on update links and then copy the image folder inside the templates folder which it then was able to find the pictures and display them BUT when i create a new page and use that template i then have to save the new page inside my ROOT folder in order for the pictures to be picked up and displayed from the correct place.

So is there another way to do this without having to copy the image folder inside the templates folder and then have to move new pages to the ROOT directory all the time??

Ricky55
03-16-2009, 03:16 AM
This is a very bad practice to be honest, converting tables to Divs.

You'd be far better just save for web from Photoshop the items in your design that need to images then building the page by hand using CSS and Divs.

Once you have your page built then save this as a template.

oni3350
03-16-2009, 01:15 PM
see my problem is ive been using AP divs all the time and i know i should be using normal divs, i think they are called relative divs. But i don't know how i can move them around screen.

Ok like you said i can save for web out of PS and then bring in the Html and then obviosly keep it as tables, but with out using AP divs, how can i position normal divs to be over certian areas fto insert text and images and videos ect. ?

Corrosive
03-16-2009, 01:44 PM
see my problem is ive been using AP divs all the time and i know i should be using normal divs, i think they are called relative divs. But i don't know how i can move them around screen.

Ok like you said i can save for web out of PS and then bring in the Html and then obviosly keep it as tables, but with out using AP divs, how can i position normal divs to be over certian areas fto insert text and images and videos ect. ?

You need to understand how relative divs work. This article is pretty good...

http://webdesign.about.com/od/advancedcss/a/aa061307.htm

I'm afraid you can't really 'drag and drop' relative divs. Putting together a site with relative positioning is one of the fundamentals of web design. I'd also suggest you understand about the 'normal flow' of a web page before you go any further with your design.