PDA

View Full Version : PW protected user entry... Possible with DW? or point me in right direction

carolinawebdesign
03-12-2009, 12:18 AM
I had a customer call yesterday that wants something and I am not sure I am capable of doing this...

He wants basically a web site that would allow password protected users to enter information in a form and have it posted to a page on the site that would display the information automatically. I am thinking kind of like a Craigslist ?

ie... he wants business owners to be able to enter discounts and information and have it show up in a designated area of the website. They would log on with a specific user name and pw, post the info and it would display for 'customers' to be able to print and bring to them.

I have not worked with database creation before other than the usual database for php and vbulletin forums.

Can anyone point me in the direction that would allow me to integrate something like this with DW?

Sorry if I am not being clear and thank you for any responses...

edbr
03-12-2009, 12:50 AM
theres a number of questions that can come from this i would expect.
but first you could create a login section you could create a page that displays the records and using the dw wizard.
after that it gets murky as altering dw code is not easy.
what this could develop to is ( im guessing) that the client may want later :
forgotten password function
paid entry
member e mailing
editing ,(allowing approval)
image uploading etc
if so these are going to give headaches.
if you do this yourself the answer is learn php (davidJ will be along) check out a cms (joomla drupal mambo or ather) to see if any suit your purpose

davidj
03-12-2009, 09:45 AM
learn it learn it learn it

i can help

carolinawebdesign
03-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Thank you for both responses!

davidj, How can you help? I am looking over your tutorials now.