PDA

View Full Version : putting video on website ???

K.Simmonds
03-10-2009, 05:37 PM
I have a website that I would like to show a little clip of a DVD I'm selling on the site (completely legitimate .... I have the rights). Can anyone tell me how - or if - I can do it ?

Ricky55
03-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Yes of course you can. The easiest way is to use Flash video format FLV.

If you have the Adobe Creative Suite you get a media encoder with it. This will encode from any video format to FLV.

Once you have the FLV you can embed using just Dreamweaver but Flash gives you more options.

To do in Dreamweaver, just go to Insert Media FLV.

If you aren't streaming the video (which this method isn't) you need to keep files sizes down.

Another way that I have used recently is to use Vimeo.com this is an excellent and free service. You can upload to their site your video files (sizes can be fairly big as its streaming) and then they give you a link to the file that you can then embed into your website.

If you scroll to the bottom of this page (click the thumbnails)
http://www.pouchpak.co.uk/machinery.html

You can see where I used it here. I have used it here with a popup created with facebox.

K.Simmonds
03-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Great. I'll try to work that out tomorrow. Looks good.
In the meantime - can you tell me how you did the wobbly pictures in your QWERTY site ???? I love it.

Ricky55
03-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks.

I did the site in Flash. I can send you the action script if you want.

Let us know how you get on with the video. Vimeo might be best for you if you're just starting out. Its a great way of getting video on your site anyway.

K.Simmonds
03-14-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm getting there - slowly. I've registered with Vimeo, but they need an.flv file. So I've downloaded an MPEG to flv converter program.
What I need now is how do I shorten my MPEG file from 5 minutes to the first 30 seconds only ???? The converter I've got is a free trial and the time editor doesn't work in the free version.

I did the site in Flash. I can send you the action script if you want ...... I'd love you to, but I don't know anything about Flash. Am I trying to learn too much here ??????

Ricky55
03-15-2009, 01:22 PM
No I don't think so. I can send you the action script but if you've never used flash it won't be of much use to you yet. Just email me at
richard@qwerty-design.co.uk if you want it.

To shorten the video you just need to find some software to do it. Can't you find anything free?

If you can't find anything free, try downloading a trial version of Adobe Premier. I think the Media Encoder that comes with CS4 can also do this.