PDA

View Full Version : pages showing skinparts but no flv

zdvdla
03-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Hi,

I have encountered a very strange thing. I have built many pages that contain .flv files with no problems. Tonight however, all of a sudden, any page containing a .flv merely shows up in browsers as the chosen skin graphics broken up into many parts within the div, including the barber pole.
But no video at all
When I look at the source in FF, it appears exactly as the code does in DW.
I have been trying everything for hours and can't find the problem.

any ideas other than RI??

osx 10.5 quad core cs4 4G ram

zdvdla
03-09-2009, 09:18 AM
I just uploaded a page and it displayed perfectly from my site...when I test from DW FF, Safari both display the skin all broken apart...
see attachment...

Ricky55
03-09-2009, 01:17 PM
I think there might be swf file for the skin that you have to upload as well.

Just double check.

Nice system btw.

zdvdla
03-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks Rick,

The odd thing is, it only does this locally..DW shoulff be able to find its own skin in its own folder right?
Man. I hate these kinds of issues..Its not critical, but its bugging me so much that I'm wasting hours trying to solve the puzzle..

Hopefully I'm not the only one with this disability...

This is what I get when I "preview in browser" from DW...
I made the second one really huge to make sure the skin had enough room to display...but....

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc242/zdvdla/Picture1.png

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc242/zdvdla/FLVSkin03.png

Ricky55
03-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Could you just walk me through what you are doing?

You have your FLV, are you using Flash to embed that into a UI and then bringing that swf into Dreamweaver?

zdvdla
03-09-2009, 07:39 PM
I create a new page in DW.

I create a div

Click inside div then go to Insert Media>flv

at the prompt I browse for the .flv (which I have checked with a player to make sure it was not corrupt) choose the .flv

choose a skin for the controls

click the Detect Size button

click ok

save

go to pulldown Preview in browser

and I get those weird pictures and no video - no audio

However --

when I PUT those on my remote sever for my website, it includes those 2 .js files
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc242/zdvdla/js_Files.png

and when I type in the url of the page, it displays perfectly...

I tried starting a new site, using old html pages that worked before, but nothing is helping....
any ideas???

Ricky55
03-09-2009, 09:55 PM
I've never used FLV's like this I have always done this through Flash.

I have just tested this and it previews fine for me.

Those two files that you mention, the swfobject_modifed.js must be part of your local file / site structure or the flash content won't play.

Just make sure you have a folder called scripts and that this file is present. Once you've tried to view in a browser they should be there as Dreamweaver copies them there. The swfobect file is used to embed the flash content and the express install is used to allow a quick install of the flash player for users with older players.

If you ensure that the file is there it should be fine.

If its previewing OK on the server it should locally.

Let me know how you get on.

Ps your site structure should look like mine in the attachment. Two swfs one for the player and one for the skin the flv and the scripts.

Ricky55
03-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Also if you are viewing in Safari just empty the cache.

Safari Pull Down Menu > Empty Cache

zdvdla
03-09-2009, 11:39 PM
My structure is the same as yours, and I just went to my hosting server (where everything is working fine) and it is the exact same there as well.

However, I noticed that those 2 files were updated today. I then went to my Site folder locally and found that those 2 files are NOT updating.
Hmm.
I copied the ones from the sever via FTP and think for fun - I need some at this point-I will replace the ones locally with those downloaded and see what smokes.

I have already re-installed DW and that didn't change a thing...

Ricky55
03-10-2009, 12:24 AM
A reinstall of DW won't affect anything, its not that kind of issue.

If its working online just select the files from the server and do a GET on them to copy over the local files.

I can't see this having any effect though really as they should be the same.

zdvdla
03-10-2009, 03:09 AM
no use copying whats already working..I'm trying to put up new pages but can't proof them locally...this is really starting to be a real problem..
Adobe is no where to be found...I have posted all day..not a peep.....

Ricky55
03-10-2009, 12:28 PM
What do you mean no point in copying what's already working?

Email me the files if you want and I'll have a look. Its annoying me now. You must be doing something wrong.

Zip them up to maintain the folder structure and email them to

richard@qwerty-design.co.uk

zdvdla
03-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Rich,
thanks for all of your energy in trying to help with this crazy issue..

So, the problem only occurs locally...uploaded files all work perfectly...as well as files already on the server...
so when I download all files from a particular page and view it locally, it doesn't work..even though a copy of the same page works on line at the same moment.

I get -
no video - no audio - only those weird spread out pictures of the control skin...
I looked into the Error Console in FF, it said that the "swfobject not defined".
Somehow that is the problem..
If I create a new page and view it locally..poo poo...
When I upload to my server and view it from any browser, no errors at all...and all pages are perfect...
I look at the page source of the ones that work, they look the same as the code in DW..
some how locally, it seems the .js tags are not wrapping up the specified object..or looking in the wrong spot...
it seems I should have a problem the other way around...locally ok and remote poo poo...but no..
I do have Apache installed, when I stopped from running, thinking that it might be looking to that server for something...
all in all, it is working well enough to get something done, it just makes proofing a pain..

I realized last night as well...

this just started when I went to CS4...

Ricky55
03-10-2009, 06:20 PM
You should be able to preview in a browser locally.

I cant understand why it works on a server but not locally.

Why don't you back up the files in your site, and then do a get operation from the server of all the files that you know work and then try to preview again locally.

That offer is still there if you want to email me.

zdvdla
03-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Yea..downloads don't display either..but I haven't tried the entire site..
I think..(loosely) that these files are worthy of focus-
swfobject_modified.js or swfobject.js
One reason is that on the server, they are being modified as pages change-
or it seems so based on the "date modified".
These same named files that sit in my site root do not change(or seem not to). I have tried to go line for line and compare but at this point I can't see what I'm looking at, not to mention don't really know what I'm looking for.

It seems to me, with my less than minimal knowledge of this process that-
Somehow the browsers are not seeing the .flv file that is supposed to be inside the container- therefore the code - swfobject.registerObject("FLVPlayer")in the HTML causes FF Error Control swfbject not defined.
It seems it's leaving an empty container and the skin control graphics are forced into it and are filling up as much of the space as they can...
If thats the problem, I have no idea how to deal with it..
If thats not the problem, I have no idea how to deal with it...
Thanks for hanging in there..hopefully an answer comes and it helps somebody, somewhere...its not really a terrible problem...
This reminds me of a cricket in my room that I can't find....

Ricky55
03-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Replied to your email, works fine now. It was what I said in the beginning missing swf files for the skin.

Get back to me if you are still having trouble.