PDA

View Full Version : images broken when on server

chode
03-07-2009, 10:02 AM
hi guys,

sorry to ask a question that will probably seem quite basic/stupid to you all but I have a problem with uploading my (first) website. Using Dreamweaver CS4 and SmartFTP. It all works fine when previewing with DW but when I upload the exact same files onto my server, my index page works which is made up of one SWF and one JPEG file (just an intro screen) but when I click onto the link to the homepage the image comes up broken.
The homepage is made up of just one gif image so not sure why this is happening? Ive tried replacing the homepage with various other pages which are the same format (one gif file) to make sure it just wasn't that image but they are all doing the same. If anyone could help I would be very grateful.

Thanks a lot

Chode

chode
03-07-2009, 12:15 PM
by the way, this is the URL for the site which wont show the image.

thanks

http://www.aviation-consulting.com.au/services_AOC.html

chode
03-07-2009, 12:31 PM
For some reason its working now so no need to reply. Mods feel free to delete this!

d a v e
03-07-2009, 03:07 PM
i wonder whether you realise that using a single image to make a 'web page' is a really bad idea! it's inaccessible to those with images turned of or using screen readers, you have no alt text and even if you did the image contains way too much text to fit in there!, the text isn't resizable for anyone without excellent vision and the image takes longer to download than just text with a header and background image.

i would suggest making a simple page with header image, background image and the same text from the gif as REAL text so that search engines can find and index you too!

domedia
03-07-2009, 10:11 PM
For some reason its working now so no need to reply. Mods feel free to delete this!
This is not a help system, it's a forum. Threads don't get deleted. :)

I would think about what d a v e said though.
A web page is a document with text on it. Although yours might have the appearance of a web page, it's not. You just put up an image with hotspots on it.

chode
03-07-2009, 10:58 PM
hey guys yeah thanks for that, I do realise its not the proper way to do it. I only looked at this software (photoshop, DW) for the first time this week so its a work in progress. Ive downloaded a load of ebooks and tutorials to get me headed in the write direction but Im sure Ill be back on this site with various questions. Thanks for your replies!

Chode