PDA

View Full Version : help me understand CSS

Nightcrawler
03-06-2009, 03:28 AM
I gotta ask some questions because I have been putting off using CSS for years. Here's why... I found when I used it originally it only complicated things, for instance there are many parts of a page where I will change the font size obviously for emphasis on titles. I found that the more CSS tags that were created for each "font" and or "italic" the more my pages would become confused. I found that I could no longer control the sizes properly, fonts were almost reverting back on their own or becoming not what I wanted them to be. I understand the concept of CSS is to keep all the codes within one file and it controls the rest of the site from there, but what am I doing wrong that would make CSS for me a pain rather than something of value? I'm not a complete noob here, I been doing HTML and basic element tags in Dreamweaver since like '02 back when CSS was coming into play I messed around with it and found that for fonts it was better left not used especially if the sites you are working on have less than 10 pages!!

Where did I go wrong with CSS, how can you have more control over your fonts? I found with each font size I had to change it would create a new CSS font rule and I'd wind up with so many that they would seem to overlap and cause confusion for the page.

What's the deal and can anyone set me down the right path?

edbr
03-06-2009, 04:39 AM
it sounds like you created a few conflicts there.
it comes doe to deciding on a general layout i would say if you are using 1 font family then declare it in your css, if more then define that in a div or class. decide on your links appearance and define it or them.
if you just high light a word ,sentence then apply a different style DW id going to make execive and usually uneeeded styles.
I have moved this thread and given it a title if you want a different title please let us know, you should start a new thread not add on to an existing thread when not relevant to it

Nightcrawler
03-06-2009, 05:09 AM
Thanks for moving the thread, titling it, etc...

That's the thing, I would usually go through a document and highlight all the parts I needed to change the size/color/italic and then update them individually, thus CSS creating a million font styles. What should I be doing just wrapping a tag around the highlighted text with a CSS font style that has already been defined? If so is there a way to do it by highlighting alone, or do you have to go into the code and manually type the CSS font coding around every text I highlight?

edbr
03-06-2009, 06:42 AM
no you can highlight then apply class in the properties