PDA

View Full Version : Adding sound to rollover buttons

nairod09
03-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi everyone! :mrgreen:
I'm trying to add a .wav sound effect to my rollover buttons using Dreamweaver by going to;
Behaviours--> Play sound--> Browse--> (OnmouseOver)

The problem I run to is that when I save the changes and go to view in IExplore, I place the mouse over the rollover button without clicking and it automatically takes me to the QuickTime player screen where it plays the sound effect.
What am I doing wrong?:confused:

Thanks so much!

Ricky55
03-06-2009, 12:24 AM
its rubbish, use flash for this or just don't bother as its a bit lame anyway.

nairod09
03-06-2009, 04:55 PM
then what's the point of Dreamweaver putting that feature there?
Why is adding sound to your rollover button lame? I know Flash websites have them, but I don't know Flash...and here I thought I discovered something great in Dreamweaver.

Corrosive
03-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Why is adding sound to your rollover button lame?

Maybe 'lame' was a bit harsh but think about people who will keep coming back to your website (hopefully, if you get it right). How long before they get really tired of a sound playing on each button click? Even if the sound you find is great it gets really stale, really quickly IMO.

I don't know anyone who still has default sounds set up to play on Windows. Why? Because they suck and you get sick of them. Same thing. If I were you I'd concentrate on getting the rest of your site so good that people want to visit it :)

Ricky55
03-06-2009, 05:09 PM
True, sounds are ok on cool flash sites like a movie site or game site and even then they can get old fast.

If you're not doing a fancy flash site or something for kids I would just avoid them.

I don't know why dreamweaver has that feature its crap. It does work but it needs to user to have quick time installed to play back the files.

If you still insist on button noises learning how to do this in flash is very straight forward. You could do the navigation in flash and then bring the swf into dreamweaver.

Ricky55
03-06-2009, 05:12 PM
btw nairod09 you won't be the first beginner to see that feature in dream w and think cool. I know I did but now I've learnt the error of my ways

nairod09
03-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Ok, I see both your points and understand why it doesn't work.
I'll leave it alone.
Buttttt....why is putting sound on rollovers in Dreamweaver annoying but not with Flash websites? I mean, I've seen 3D Flash web templates with 3D images moving around, music playing, buttons with sounds, and I wonder...is that a good way to get people to comeback to your site or will that just annoy the crap out of them?

I know it all depends who your target is. I'm creating a design portfolio website and I thought a rollover sound with Dreamweaver would give me the same sound effect as a Flash website. But I guess that's not the case.

Is creating a Flash site more complicated than Dreamweaver? are there any positive/negatives with Flash sites?

Corrosive
03-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Ok, I see both your points and understand why it doesn't work.
I'll leave it alone.
Buttttt....why is putting sound on rollovers in Dreamweaver annoying but not with Flash websites? I mean, I've seen 3D Flash web templates with 3D images moving around, music playing, buttons with sounds, and I wonder...is that a good way to get people to comeback to your site or will that just annoy the crap out of them?

I know it all depends who your target is. I'm creating a design portfolio website and I thought a rollover sound with Dreamweaver would give me the same sound effect as a Flash website. But I guess that's not the case.

Is creating a Flash site more complicated than Dreamweaver? are there any positive/negatives with Flash sites?

I guess that with a portfolio site it is a little different. I have seen loads of really great Flash portfolio sites and they work well. Because they are Flash, moving images, maybe a cool menu and (yes) sounds they make a great first impression. That's all you need for a portfolio. Once someone loves your work the job of the website is done.

Ricky is your man for Flash. Check out some of his sites 8)

What are you looking to display? Are you a photographer, painter, cartoonist?

Ricky55
03-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Its no harder really to create a site in Flash. Action script the language that Flash uses is harder to learn that HTML and CSS but you don't need to learn the language completely to get a site done.

I didn't mean to have a go when I said sounds are lame. They can work in context. Like Corrosive said if you go on a nice flash site and a menu is moving and the sound is adding to the effect then that can work really well but just HTML buttons making noises just doesn't work that well and can become very annoying.

Flash is a great tool to add to your arsenal, and I would encourage any one to learn it. I love using Flash when I've done a few sites in html and css as its so different to work with.

Let us know more about the site you are creating and we'll give you a few pointers.

Flash does have its downsides like all technologies, namely when it comes to search engines, people with slow connections and of course the user needs to have the player installed to even view the content but these are becoming less of an issue as most people have the player these days and a lot of people have broadband now.

If you do decide to learn flash I will help you out all i can.

edbr
03-07-2009, 03:47 AM
dreamweaver has a few things that are questionable in it but after all it tries to be as much as it can for as many users as it can.
look at your target viewer i would suggest as the guys say. i personally am irritated by sites that have sounds m, musicc and too much animation especially if it takes my feeble concentration way from reading the content. Having said that flash is a good weapon in your arsenal and you should jump at Rickys offer