PDA

View Full Version : css newbie really needs help.

ThePicklePatch
03-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Hi,

I am making changes to my site, http://www.thepicklepatch.net. I am totally new at this, and learning as I go. I didn't know anything about css when I started.

Now that I am changing the look of my site, I realize css would of made these changes easier.

I have made efforts to learn, but confused about the code and terms. When, how, and why are they used.

My page layout is in tables, and not sure how to code my body, header, footer, and and navigation bar so they will be consistant on every page.

Could someone look at my site and explain to me in simple terms how to do this?

Dreamweaver has a HeaderImages box, is it better to use them or use a table for my header, and why.

Thank you, Linda

edbr
03-04-2009, 12:12 AM
yes it is definitely better to get away from tables, reasons have been layed out in a sticky notice but not sure which category, sorry just have a quick check.
you are using classes i see so you have made a step if you were to make divs such as footer navbar etc you coulc place elements in them and style them as you wiish. As for site consistency using an impoted css sheet (as you do) will achieve this.

ThePicklePatch
03-04-2009, 12:37 AM
edbr, thanks for the reply.

Are you saying it is best to use divs instead of tables, or do I put the divs into the tables.
As you can see, I really need this explained to me, as I am going crazy trying to figure it out.

Thanks, Linda

edbr
03-04-2009, 12:49 AM
tables are for tabular data. it is better not to use them for general layout, (in mine and many others opinion)
so yes use divs not tables. we can help you if you need it as we all bang on about this :)

ThePicklePatch
03-04-2009, 01:15 AM
Okay, divs it is.

Bring on the help, with a lot of patience, please.

I changed my header from a table to a div. using Modify>Convert>Tables to Divs.

Oh, I see that created all my tables in divs. I thought I had to do one at a time.
Okay, now all tables are divs. Easy so far.
Now what do I do?

edbr
03-04-2009, 04:23 AM
if you used the convert tables to in dw i have to take a sharo intake of breath as DW makes some pretty wierd code. let me look at your site and ill get back to you

ThePicklePatch
03-04-2009, 04:32 AM
edbr,
This is my test site with the changes I made.
http://thepicklepatch.net/index_test.html

edbr
03-04-2009, 04:49 AM
right . where this creates too much code is all the absolute divs it is creating with the inline styling much of this ,or rather all of this should be in dives with attributes in a css file. IMO all layout divs should be relative and using absolute only as child divs inside its parent div. generally at least

you need for your layout a wrapper div, a header a side bar and content side by side and a footer below them.
Im running out of time today but ill try to look when i can

ThePicklePatch
03-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the input so far.

I am loosing my mind and pulling out my hair. Now my background moves and the contents don't when I re size the browser window. There is so much "lingo" I don't understand.

I am amazed that I have gotten this far....only to find out, I did it all backwards. I would really like to get this part over and done with, so I can go ahead and update all my pages.

I am not a quitter, and prided myself on getting this far, but I tell you, I am ready to hire someone to set me up with my page style and css code, just so I can get on with a life.

Not really a whiner.....just completely worn out.

Any help to make my rattled brain grasp this, is truly welcomed.

edbr
03-04-2009, 08:38 AM
its not so bad just getting your head round it . have a look at the page in my different links ,in my sic its a very simple page layout, ignoe the links (delete the m) an see if you can build your page from there up. sorry i am just pushed for time today

ThePicklePatch
03-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Hey, no problem. If I were in Bali, I would not be doing this. We have lots of snow and no ground in sight.

I did what you suggested, and you can check it out at: http://thepicklepatch.net/test.html

So far, so good. Working on getting the rest of the contents in.

Background still floats away from contents when re sizing the browser window. Probably and easy fix I haven't figured out yet.

edbr
03-05-2009, 02:56 AM
it because of absolute positioning i expect, good for you, it worth the struggle at first to get away from tables honestly.

snow ? i remember that. cold and grey coloured isnt it ? at least it was in London

ThePicklePatch
03-05-2009, 03:49 AM
Okay, how do I fix it?