PDA

View Full Version : Content section width

italialiving
02-25-2009, 04:44 PM
I had a programmer create my website for me with 2 dreamweaver templates. I have always done the basic work of updating content, creating new pages, etc. I wanted to make the whole content area of my pages wider, so I can fit more onto each page. I just feel currently there is a lot of wasted space with how narrow it is on the page background that appears along the sides.

I had my designer resize some of the website images for me including making the header/banner image stretch out wider, but now my programmer says it will cost me about $500 for them to adjust the templates to the new size, update the images, the width of the columns, and then just update the pages.

I am not too good with the programming stuff or understanding this to well, but my site isn't complicated...isn't there just a simple adjustment to the template that would make the content section wider, and then I can just replace the images with the new sizes I have?

I just don't understand how this can be so much work and why it would cost $500. I've been happy with the work they have done in the past which also seemed reasonable in cost, but this I don't get.

Thanks everyone for any clarification or advice!

Corrosive
02-25-2009, 05:54 PM
I had a programmer create my website for me with 2 dreamweaver templates. I have always done the basic work of updating content, creating new pages, etc. I wanted to make the whole content area of my pages wider, so I can fit more onto each page. I just feel currently there is a lot of wasted space with how narrow it is on the page background that appears along the sides.

I had my designer resize some of the website images for me including making the header/banner image stretch out wider, but now my programmer says it will cost me about $500 for them to adjust the templates to the new size, update the images, the width of the columns, and then just update the pages.

I am not too good with the programming stuff or understanding this to well, but my site isn't complicated...isn't there just a simple adjustment to the template that would make the content section wider, and then I can just replace the images with the new sizes I have?

I just don't understand how this can be so much work and why it would cost $500. I've been happy with the work they have done in the past which also seemed reasonable in cost, but this I don't get.

Thanks everyone for any clarification or advice!

OK, it may have a lot of space on your monitor but different users have different screen resolutions. If you view your site in say 800 x 600 it will fill the screen. If you go much wider then users on 800 x 600 will have scrollbars to read along the page...and that sucks. Your designers have done a really nice job and done it in the correct way IMO. Honestly?...I'd leave it :)

italialiving
02-25-2009, 06:20 PM
OK, it may have a lot of space on your monitor but different users have different screen resolutions. If you view your site in say 800 x 600 it will fill the screen. If you go much wider then users on 800 x 600 will have scrollbars to read along the page...and that sucks. Your designers have done a really nice job and done it in the correct way IMO. Honestly?...I'd leave it :)

It appears though that I can still make the header and middle content area of each page on top of the background a bit wider without having a scroll on the bottom. I agree, I don't want that. What I want is more visible content on the page and not as much wide background image showing on the sides.
Do you think that can't really be done?

Thanks for your compliment and input, appreciate it much!

Corrosive
02-25-2009, 07:21 PM
It appears though that I can still make the header and middle content area of each page on top of the background a bit wider without having a scroll on the bottom. I agree, I don't want that. What I want is more visible content on the page and not as much wide background image showing on the sides.
Do you think that can't really be done?

Thanks for your compliment and input, appreciate it much!

Your wrapper div is 800px wide. This holds your content in the centre of the screen. If your screen resolution is 800 x 600 then that is also 800px wide (give or take a pixel). This means that your site fills the whole screen on some viewers monitors. Don't just think about how it looks on your PC.

If you want a design to fill the whole screen whatever the resolution you need to use % widths and this will mean a site re-design...and $500 sounds more than reasonable.

italialiving
02-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Forgive me for being so clueless in this area...seems simple enough to understand. I know I don't want it to fill my whole screen. I use a 20" mac and only use the browser wide enough to fill maybe 3/4 of my screen. I may need to look at my site on a regular size monitor.

But let me give you another example...
There is another website, http://www.altacucinasociety.com
If I view their website, and open another browser window with my website...the middle content area (white section) is wider than the content section on my site. With both browser windows the same size over each other. I just can't figure out...which would seem simple to do...to just make that section a little wider. I'm not looking to increase it a whole lot. Maybe a table size setting? Or adjusting the header size?

Corrosive
02-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Forgive me for being so clueless in this area...seems simple enough to understand. I know I don't want it to fill my whole screen. I use a 20" mac and only use the browser wide enough to fill maybe 3/4 of my screen. I may need to look at my site on a regular size monitor.

But let me give you another example...
There is another website, http://www.altacucinasociety.com
If I view their website, and open another browser window with my website...the middle content area (white section) is wider than the content section on my site. With both browser windows the same size over each other. I just can't figure out...which would seem simple to do...to just make that section a little wider. I'm not looking to increase it a whole lot. Maybe a table size setting? Or adjusting the header size?

You'll have to resize and reposition most of the site elements to get it to look right. It's not just a case of increasing one size and everything follows it. You are still asking for them to do quite a bit of work. It's not as simple as you think it is I'm afraid.

italialiving
02-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Ok I think I understand, thanks. If I resize my header image to make it a bit longer and replace it in the template, I would think that would make the section wider for each page in the site. Guess I'm wrong.

Just frustrating that a program like Dreamweaver that is suppose to be so great and is so expensive, can't do something so simple, easily.

Corrosive
02-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Just frustrating that a program like Dreamweaver that is suppose to be so great and is so expensive, can't do something so simple, easily.

Just like owning CUBase doesn't instantly make you a record producer or owning Photoshop doesn't instantly make you a graphic designer, owning Dreamweaver doesn't instantly make you a web designer. You have to understand web design to use it :wink:

italialiving
02-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Just like owning CUBase doesn't instantly make you a record producer or owning Photoshop doesn't instantly make you a graphic designer, owning Dreamweaver doesn't instantly make you a web designer. You have to understand web design to use it :wink:

You are absolutely correct there! I'm trying to learn though...at least a little bit. I'd like to keep my programmer for most stuff, but just can't grasp paying a couple hundred dollars to simply resize a table for me. :)

I have had some progress though. I was able to place my new header image into my template which, as I expected, made the page a bit wider.
However, in my main template there is a table with one row and one column for all my content. I now need to make the width of that table a little wider to fill the slightly wider section under the new header. If I highlight the box and try to drag it wider, nothing happens or changes. Is there some sort of lock setting I am missing somewhere?

Corrosive
02-26-2009, 03:04 PM
You are absolutely correct there! I'm trying to learn though...at least a little bit. I'd like to keep my programmer for most stuff, but just can't grasp paying a couple hundred dollars to simply resize a table for me. :)

I have had some progress though. I was able to place my new header image into my template which, as I expected, made the page a bit wider.
However, in my main template there is a table with one row and one column for all my content. I now need to make the width of that table a little wider to fill the slightly wider section under the new header. If I highlight the box and try to drag it wider, nothing happens or changes. Is there some sort of lock setting I am missing somewhere?

Well 'kudos' to you for learning a new skill :) . You will enjoy what web design can do. Chances are some of your tables are nested meaning they are pushed up against each other. You may need to move some other bits in order to expand your website.

italialiving
02-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks! My basic template I am trying to edit actually only has the one table. I can very easily highlight it, and get an arrow on the edge where I place the cursor. But when I try to drag it, it just doesn't move.
In the bottom box that shows the dimensions, it shows 1 row, 1 column, W 100%. Does the 100% mean that the width can not be made any wider? The table is centered and there is certainly plenty of room on both sides to go wider with it.

Corrosive
02-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks! My basic template I am trying to edit actually only has the one table. I can very easily highlight it, and get an arrow on the edge where I place the cursor. But when I try to drag it, it just doesn't move.
In the bottom box that shows the dimensions, it shows 1 row, 1 column, W 100%. Does the 100% mean that the width can not be made any wider? The table is centered and there is certainly plenty of room on both sides to go wider with it.

Your 'wrapper' div is centring the content with auto margins. You will need to adjust the width of this (via CSS) to the width you want your site to be. Then you can adjust the tables to suit.

italialiving
02-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Your 'wrapper' div is centring the content with auto margins. You will need to adjust the width of this (via CSS) to the width you want your site to be. Then you can adjust the tables to suit.

In your opinion, would it be best to just leave auto margins if that is how it is now?

Corrosive
02-26-2009, 04:01 PM
In your opinion, would it be best to just leave auto margins if that is how it is now?

Yes, that is what is centreing your site in the page :)