PDA

View Full Version : favicon won't appear.

stickitup
02-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Seems to be a common problem and I have tried many of the options to try to correct it.
I uploaded my picture to Direct Drive favIcon generator and then generated it and saved it as "favicon.ico". I have uploaded it my root directories via FTP (in all the folders not just the main root folder in an attempt to resolve the problem). I have included the following code in place and also other itterations from other suggestions on forums
<head>
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
I am using IE7, each time i do a new upload or change anything I delete browsing history & temporary internet files. But the favicon fails to appear.
url is www.trogers.co.uk (http://www.trogers.co.uk)
Please help.

coloeagle
02-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Your using frames. The code needs to be on the page you have posted here, not on the page that is displayed in the frame.

Note:
IE will not show the favicon unless you bookmark the page.

stickitup
02-24-2009, 04:01 PM
sorry you got me there, I am not too sure what a frame is, I have placed the code on every page in all the directories just below the first <head> . I have tried bookmarking the page with no success. It is also worth noting that other sites I have not bookmarked show the favicon.....sorry for being a dumb ass.

coloeagle
02-24-2009, 05:27 PM
When viewing trogers.co.uk Actually viewing home.btconnect.com/trogersco/Index.htm

The code on trogers.co.uk page for frames is;

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>T. Rogers &amp; Co Packers. Imports &amp; Exports of Fine Art</title>
<meta name="keywords" content="trogers freight art customs sculpture bond bonded import export fine temporary t-form t1 c88 antique painting crate crating packing shipping clearance iata forwarding T. rogers gander white constantine momart martinspeed storage agent experienced">
<meta name="description" content="London based shipping and forwarding agents. Experts in all matters concerning Import and export of fine art.">
<meta name="T Rogers & Co" content="Experts in shipping, import &amp; export proceedure for fine art">
<meta name="T Rogers Packers" content="Imports, exports, bonded, license applications, CITES">
</head>
<frameset rows="100%,*" border="0" frameborder="no" framespacing="0">
<frame name="site" src="http://home.btconnect.com/trogersco/Index.htm" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" noresize scrolling="auto">
<noframes>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff">
<p></p>
</body>
</noframes>
</frameset>
</html>
No favicon link there.

With the other page try removing the slash in front of favicon.

Ricky55
02-24-2009, 05:59 PM
you shouldn't even need any code, just make sure its uploaded to the root of your server.

Also, have you tried making the site a favourite?

stickitup
02-25-2009, 08:33 AM
hmmm....ok, in ftp I am uploading the new files and selecting to replace the old ones, so i'm not sure why the codes not appearing there. I have put the favicon.ico in all directories not just the main root directory and then added the code as a last resort. Have added the site into favourites, however what's confusing is other sites which are not in favourites still show their favicon and mine not. I'll go off and try a few bits and see if I can get it to work. Thanks for the suggestions. - ok took out the slash in the code, no change. How do I edit the frame? lLttle bit beyond my noob knowledge.

Corrosive
02-25-2009, 09:43 AM
hmmm....ok, in ftp I am uploading the new files and selecting to replace the old ones, so i'm not sure why the codes not appearing there. I have put the favicon.ico in all directories not just the main root directory and then added the code as a last resort. Have added the site into favourites, however what's confusing is other sites which are not in favourites still show their favicon and mine not. I'll go off and try a few bits and see if I can get it to work. Thanks for the suggestions. - ok took out the slash in the code, no change. How do I edit the frame? lLttle bit beyond my noob knowledge.

Mate, clear your browser cache and try loading the site again.

stickitup
02-25-2009, 10:58 AM
have done all except passwords, nothing...think i am going to give up if i can't sort it soon, wasted a day on this, frustrating does not even come close. can someone check it and see if they get the favicon to come up and let me know. thanks

Corrosive
02-25-2009, 11:07 AM
have done all except passwords, nothing...think i am going to give up if i can't sort it soon, wasted a day on this, frustrating does not even come close. can someone check it and see if they get the favicon to come up and let me know. thanks

Sorry mate, that usually works for me but I can confirm that there is still no favicon. I think it might be one of two things.Your use of frames or the fact that you are hosted on a btconnect account and not a full web host. That's all I can come up with at this stage. :(

stickitup
02-25-2009, 01:00 PM
thanks for checking, it. probably btconnect hosting the site is the culprit, i'll give up as i can see the frame code but can't work out how to change it.