PDA

View Full Version : "non-Valid" Email address filter

Rob_Che
02-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Hello...

I have a basic form set up that emails me the contents. It's just one line, an email address for a newsletter.

It works fine.. however you can put anything in that box and it will send it, my friends will testify. Hilarious of course but not really what I need right now... :roll:

I've seen Javascript solutions to this but is there a way of confirming it (at least has an email format) within the initial PHP code?

Cheers
Rob :smile:

davidj
02-23-2009, 12:29 PM
you can check for an @ within an address but thats about a useful as tits on a fish

if its a subscription service then you could get a validation link sent to the submitted address. The user clicks it to confirm they want to subscribe then you action the details on that

Rob_Che
02-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Is this something reasonably simple to set up ??
(For someone without DW / PC) ??!! *cry*

RC

Help me DJ ! :)

davidj
02-23-2009, 02:13 PM
write the code out on paper

fold 8 times

then pop it in your disk tray and wait until it boots

dont forget to write /BOOT on the top of the paper in red biro as it needs to know this!

let me know when done

davidj
02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
it requires serverside malarkey hokus pokus magic

some PHP and a db

Rob_Che
02-23-2009, 02:56 PM
it requires serverside malarkey hokus pokus magic

some PHP and a db
I'll try the first way first.

I guess I'll have to wait until I have computer again, thought I may be able to code it onto the existing sheet on the server...

No worries...

I'm still waiting for the 'man' to let me know about my machine. Stupid freaking thing.

edbr
02-23-2009, 11:58 PM
you can check if the domain exists, that stopped all the xyzw@kjhkjgh.com i was getting. there is a check for the actual email address but it is shakty and reportedly can get you listed as spammer id enough people use it