PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver messing up page

jamesss
02-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Dreamweaver has started messing up my pages for some reason.If I publish my site and save the ftp files to local and then 'put' them in Dreamweaver straight away it decides to expand the page leaving all kinds of problems like this

http://www.designerswitching.co.uk/clients_13.html

It should look like my other pages.Have spent tooooo long trying to figure this out,this is prob run of the mill stuff for you guys.

BTW;
Can anyone recommend a HTML book from the book link up top,need to purchase one and just wondered if anyone knows a goodin?

Any help is much appreciated!
james

domedia
02-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Dreamweaver has started messing up my pages for some reason.If I publish my site and save the ftp files to local and then 'put' them in Dreamweaver straight away it decides to expand the page leaving all kinds of problems like this
Can you explain your work process in other words? From what you;re saying it almost sounds like you publish your pages twice(!?), which doesn't make much sense.
Normally you would work on your file locally, and then put on server.

BTW;
Can anyone recommend a HTML book from the book link up top,need to purchase one and just wondered if anyone knows a goodin?
There's many really good books out there. What are you looking to learn and what is your current HTML knowledge level?

jamesss
02-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Yes i am publishing them twice,there is edit options available in dreamweaver that are not available in site wizard,i need to write shopping cart buttons and affiliate links etc which i use DW for.

As for the amount of experience using HTML .... very little so starting at the basics.

domedia
02-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Yes i am publishing them twice,there is edit options available in dreamweaver that are not available in site wizard,i need to write shopping cart buttons and affiliate links etc which i use DW for.
Can you explain why you need to publish a file twice?
I'm just trying to understand what is going on here.

Like I said normally, you develop locally, and then publish when you got everything right. I can't see how publishing something twice fits in anywhere.

As for the amount of experience using HTML .... very little so starting at the basics.
Bullet proof Web design by Cederholm, make sure you get this, the 2nd edition:
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/books/shop.php?k=Bulletproof+Web+Design&c=books

jamesss
02-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Ok here is why i publish twice,

When i have finished editing and building in sitewizard i hit publish,so yes i can see what i have created on line at this point,now i decide to add a buy now button so i open DW and 'Get' the file in order to install my HTML code.now when i view my page in split view the design part is nothing like it actually appears on line, its all messed up and sometimes i can just bearly make out the page.once ive installed ...a button or widget or whatever it is im installing,i publish and see my results.
I have tried previewing image in browser before saving + putting but the unable to connect to web page appears(like when yo have lost your net connection)

Hope this explains my reasons.

domedia
02-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Yes it explains it :)
You have to find out how to develop locally, preview everything on your computer before putting live.