PDA

View Full Version : do I need CSS over tables for this?

jax23
02-19-2009, 12:07 PM
I have been out of web design for 10 years and then I used fixed framesets and tables, nested into a 100 percent table so that the page sat vertically and horizontally centered.
The site design I have is for an artist based on this idea. The left nav is roll over image links and fixed size. In fact the whole thing is fixed as the artist only wants people on 13 inch laptops and above to view his work. Its mostly fixed size paintings and hardly any text and we are quite happy for each new page to load in in compleatly as I hear framesets can be problematic being indexed with browsers.

Ive been looking at css and trying to work out if the learning curve is worth it for a one off design that doesnt want to re size for browsers or wrap text. only the blog page will need a scroll bar on the right box.

Is there any problem with just sticking to tables and incerting a iframe for the blog???? or are browsers now starting to have problems with table designed layouts???

Ive been reading and scraching my head for days now swinging one way then the other, please help!!!!

jax

domedia
02-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Is there any problem with just sticking to tables and incerting a iframe for the blog???? or are browsers now starting to have problems with table designed layouts???
The switch to standards based websites has nothing to do with how it looks :)
It's based on using the right tools for the job and the increased accessibility it gives you towards users, search engines etc. If you're only concerned with how it looks, and now how it works, there's few issues with continuing your approach imho.

jax23
02-19-2009, 01:14 PM
thanks for the speedy reply. :-D

I do also want good listings with browser search engines, do they rate you lower for using old tec?

thanks

jax

Corrosive
02-19-2009, 01:51 PM
thanks for the speedy reply. :-D

I do also want good listings with browser search engines, do they rate you lower for using old tec?

thanks

jax

It's all relative with no definite answer to that. Why not learn CSS? If you have a good grounding in web design the learning curve won't be so steep and (I promise) you will enjoy learning it. It will also give you all the benefits of site-wide style changes from just one file.

domedia
02-20-2009, 02:28 PM
No directly. Standard code will make it easier for search engines to understand what your information is about, because you're now using tags with semantic meaning. Using semantic markup is part of basic SEO, so if you're concerned about search engines, using web standards is part of the optimization.

jax23
02-20-2009, 07:37 PM
thanks guys, food for thought. I think I'll throw a site togther in tables to take the pressure off (just use css for font stlying) so the boy has something up sharp for the galleries to look at. Then I can learn at more lesure and replace when Im fit.

appreciate your imput,

jax