PDA

View Full Version : adjust position of Simpleviewer on Dreamweaver html

KayG
02-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Hi! I'm trying to adjust the positioning of a Simpleviewer slide show on an html page created in Dreamweaver. So far, though the slide show works (and it's lovely, by the way) I can't figure out how to adjust where it sits on the page. Any suggestions? I'm new to these programs.

Rob_Che
02-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Hey KayG - welcome :)

There's not enough info there for me to help you unfortunately...
Are you trying to display it in relation to a site or just on it's own page?

You say you are new to these sorts of programs... have you uploaded the gallery to web space? It's easier to de-bug if we can get to the code you see :)

RC

KayG
02-19-2009, 03:07 AM
Hi!:-D
I have an html page which is on a site. I want a header, sidebar and footer (matching other pages on the site) to be on the page with the slide show. I'm working in Dreamweaver and found some info at this link:
http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/examples/embedded/
That got the slideshow onto the page but it obscured the header, etc. I did finally find this code:
fo.addParam("wmode", "opaque");
which moved the Simpleviewer slide show to the back so the other elements could be seen. Then I adjusted the slide show width and height and that helped. But I'm wondering if I can't absolutely position the slide show on an html page.
I'm working locally right now and don't have a web space. I've only been working in Dreamweaver for about 2 months so I'm really a novice.
Thanks for your help.
KayG

Rob_Che
02-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Hey KayG - are you working with tables or CSS ?

KayG
02-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi Rob, I'm working with CSS but adjusting code where I can't find a Dreamweaver command to do my bidding. I started using tables but was counseled to work with divs instead so changed to that.

Rob_Che
02-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Cool. Can you paste your code here? We can then mock it up then this end...

RC

KayG
02-20-2009, 03:37 AM
I'll have to wait until Saturday to get that. Hang in there! ...and thanks!
KayG

Rob_Che
02-20-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm here all week, tell your friends.

edbr
02-21-2009, 03:29 AM
matinees on thursdays

KayG
02-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi Rob, My dear husband posted my site on a server (I hope I'm saying this correctly, but you know what I mean, I hope). Here's the url: http://phillyfriends.netfirms.com/Kay/ceramics/lighting/lighting.html

We got the slideshow working on the page just fine locally, but when we posted it it wouldn't work again. What gives?? Oh, and thanks again.

davidj
02-22-2009, 02:53 AM
your markup is invalid

you have whats known in the trade as a balls up

if you view source you will see that you have a table above your doc type declaration

the table needs to be inside the body tags

im not saying it will fix your javascript issue but i sugest you tackle one thing at a time

Rob_Che
02-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Hey KayG - your title and navigation divs are absolutely positioned and I don't think they should be... In fact you have way more CSS AND html than you need - you need to strip it back i think and start again.

Try downloading one of the templates from here and adjusting that to your needs... You can learn as much from testing a template to destruction as you can making it from scratch. You have things like absolute positioning and z-index which are not necessary for the layout you are looking to achieve.(and the errors DJ mentioned)

I would be happier to help you start again (and it would be quicker) than try and resolve the problems you have there.

Sorry KayG - I'd love to help you get this sorted, I'm more than happy to help you write this code. Together we'll sort it in no time.

:) Please come back soon, don't be put off. :)