PDA

View Full Version : W3 validator

urbanrays
02-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi

Wanted to know what impact w3 validator has on your site?

If for example I have 275 errors (which I dont I'm as clean as a whistle) what would this do, if anything to my seo, if it does not do anything what is the point of the validator, what are the plus points to having compliant pages apart from clean code where joe bloggs dont really care about that he just cares what he sees in front of him.

Also Davidj mentioned another site which checks your site for accessability, (cant remember the web address) and again what are the implications of failing badly(which I did) on these sites.

Thanks for your help again

coloeagle
02-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi

Wanted to know what impact w3 validator has on your site?

If for example I have 275 errors (which I dont I'm as clean as a whistle) what would this do, if anything to my seo,
This issue is still up for debate. It has not been proven definitively that compliant code will increase the seo over a page that is loaded with errors.

if it does not do anything what is the point of the validator, what are the plus points to having compliant pages apart from clean code where joe bloggs dont really care about that he just cares what he sees in front of him.By having clean/compliant code you are taking the extra step to help insure your website is accessible to a broader range of people. Those that use a text reader, need larger text or have a color blind issue.

Also Davidj mentioned another site which checks your site for accessability, (cant remember the web address) and again what are the implications of failing badly(which I did) on these sites.

Thanks for your help again
I have a few of these bookmarked, but not on this computer. :( I will post them if needed a little later.

urbanrays
02-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks coloeagle, just found something very ironic, google itself does not validate with 75 errors and 12 warnings. so surely w3 validation cant have a massive impact on the seo side unless anything has been missed out that will stop the page being indexed properly.

Rob_Che
02-18-2009, 04:41 PM
This is DoMedia's areas... he'll be along in a minute...

d a v e
02-18-2009, 05:09 PM
if your page doesn't validate then it will explode and all that google etc will find will be random code fragments ;)

Corrosive
02-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks coloeagle, just found something very ironic, google itself does not validate with 75 errors and 12 warnings. so surely w3 validation cant have a massive impact on the seo side unless anything has been missed out that will stop the page being indexed properly.

Loads of big sites don't validate. Validation is a tool and not a goal. Do bear in mind that we have laws concerning accessibility in the UK (although I understand that no one has ever been prosecuted under them!)

domedia
02-18-2009, 05:46 PM
coloeagle is spot on.
valid code is not 'directly' related to seo
and most of the largest sites out there are not error free.
It's more important that your site works in your target browsers, than the code being valid.
I typically work with validation only during development to catch obvious errors, but that's about it.

domedia
02-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Loads of big sites don't validate. Validation is a tool and not a goal. Do bear in mind that we have laws concerning accessibility in the UK (although I understand that no one has ever been prosecuted under them!) Also remember that accessibility and valid code is not the same thing :)

coloeagle
02-18-2009, 06:15 PM
I agree with Dom that though the two work together they are not the same thing.

Setting aside a site specifically dedicated for those people with disabilities, the average visitor won't notice or care if a site has valid code and is error free. They want to easily find what they are after without display problems.

As a strong believer in valid code and accessibility, I have to admit, as a site owner at the end of the day it is all about conversions, getting what you want from the visitor.

coloeagle
02-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Loads of big sites don't validate. Validation is a tool and not a goal. Do bear in mind that we have laws concerning accessibility in the UK (although I understand that no one has ever been prosecuted under them!)
We have laws here as well and have had a few cases of lawsuits being filed for a website not being accessible.

Corrosive
02-18-2009, 06:22 PM
We have laws here as well and have had a few cases of lawsuits being filed for a website not being accessible.

All the stuff I have read so far about the UK laws say that the RNIB have approached a few larger companies on grounds of discrimination and threatening law suits on behalf of their members but the companies have taken the hint and sorted it out. I think you'll be pretty safe Urbanrays. Your site is nicely marked up :)

urbanrays
02-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks everyone I am glad I asked the question, that will help a lot of people who think but dont ask, I didnt realise you can get taken to court for this tho. I suppose we should just make sure our sites validate as we never know, google may and probably will move the goal posts in the near future where they want to see the site 100% on both validation and accessability.

domedia
02-20-2009, 03:29 PM
google may and probably will move the goal posts in the near future where they want to see the site 100% on both validation and accessability. Doubt it :) Google is concerned about giving relevant search results, and that is not directly related to page validation.

edbr
02-21-2009, 03:37 AM
i doubt it too. Google is after all a business and I cant see it would benefit them to make that a rule as so many sites would be excluded and market share would go with them

domedia
02-21-2009, 05:48 PM
i doubt it too. Google is after all a business and I cant see it would benefit them to make that a rule as so many sites would be excluded and market share would go with themIt would give an unfair penalty to... I'm guessing 80% of websites, including their own!

up4dw
02-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Google is after your money.They dint care about your code.