PDA

View Full Version : Beginner needs pointer to help

Beeky
02-18-2009, 09:49 AM
I am fairly new to DW. I can set up pages and edit sites that have already been setup. I want to publish my own web but want to test it on my computer to start with. I have followed the wizzard for Manage Site but I am clearly doing something very wrong as I keep getting navigation Cancelled. Heres my setup:

Laptop computer with windows XP Professional and IIS loaded.
Two partitions C: (used maily for programs and system files) and D: (just for data files)
Local files being used when dreamweaver opens in site i.e. my first DW site files locared at:

D:\Data Folders\My Webs\BKSolutions (just to be clear this is where I create a new html or ASP page and save it.)

My Inetpub folder is: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot

I really don't understns the Local, Remote and Testing server configuration in DW. Can someone please explain in very simple terms how this works or point me to a really straightforward tutorial.

Regards

Beeky

edbr
02-19-2009, 01:09 AM
you could have local site in your present folder and remote and testing folder( same folder) in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot

Beeky
02-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks but I have tried this and I still have the thing falling over when I try to preview in browser. I can FTP direct to a server on the web and this is fine but I want to be abe to test the full site on my local machine before uploading to the web.

edbr
02-19-2009, 09:20 AM
if you put localhost in your browser adress bar do you getthe contents of the root folder, if so you can have have a folder in there say, BKSolutions.
in site definitions for your site url should then be localhost/BKSolutions

Beeky
02-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Thank you cracked it. It was the URL prefix on the testing server that was wrong. Thanks for the help forced me to go through it all.
Beeky