PDA

View Full Version : PDF to HTML

Helpmee
02-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi,

I've always gotten great help from this forum, so now I have a new question.

I'm working on my agencies web site (I'm still new at this.) and they converted a PDF to HTML, we thought that it would help me get the page look exactly as they want it. I downloaded the file and it has everything that needs to go on the page, but don't know what to do next. I'm so confused :confused:

Any help?
Thanks, Lucia

domedia
02-15-2009, 04:45 PM
That's not really how you do it..

If you have a PDF document you need to make available on your website, just put it on your webserver and link to it.

If you're talking about creating the website design in PDF, you're doing it wrong.

Corrosive
02-15-2009, 04:54 PM
they converted a PDF to HTML, we thought that it would help me get the page look exactly as they want it.

No, not really. It certainly won't help you get it the same across all browsers.

What we tend to do is wireframe the site structure, i.e. how many pages/links etc. we are going to need. Then we create a layout in Photoshop using the wireframe information. Then we cut the graphics we will need out of the layout and save them as smaller graphics (jpgs or gifs as appropriate) and make sure they are optimized for the web. Then we rebuild the page using HTML and CSS and add and other functionality we need i.e. javacript or PHP.

Job done :)

If this company are going to give you a pdf/html and say 'build that' you will really struggle and they are not letting you do your job as a designer.

Helpmee
02-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Domedia - I know how to make a pdf file available on a web site, but thanks.

Corrosive - I think you answered my questions. Basically, I just have to create the web page all over again anyway. The file they sent has everything they want. The images and everything came in as separate pieces. I was hoping that I would be able to somehow re-create what they wanted from the pdf file.

Thanks

Corrosive
02-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Basically, I just have to create the web page all over again anyway.

Yes, I could have just said that really. :wink:

d a v e
02-16-2009, 03:19 AM
can you post a screenshot of, or link to, the pdf? might help us point you in the right direction