PDA

View Full Version : Images Quality in IE

Chapo
02-15-2009, 03:35 AM
I made some buttons and Logos using images. It looks great when browsing in Firefox and Safari. But when you view it in IE it really looks very poor quality and the colors are kind of faded. I used IE 7 and IE 8. Is there a reason for this to happened ?

www.fotorazi.com

(compare it to Firefox and then view it on IE. At the top i have the Logo and the menu made with images)

d a v e
02-15-2009, 04:16 AM
looks the same to me - but you should have the logo and buttons saved as gifs/png 8 bit NOT jpegs. change that and see if it makes any difference...

Chapo
02-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanx for that tip... but why not be saved as jpegs ?

Chapo
02-15-2009, 01:03 PM
what about pictures, do they also have to be saved as gifs, png ?

Ricky55
02-15-2009, 01:53 PM
These are the general rules of thumb:

Use jpgs for images such as photographs, with lots of different shades of colour jpg doesn't support transparency though.

Use gif when you need support for transparency, although gif supports transparency gradients etc won't look good because gif only supports a limited amount of colours.

Gif's are also excellent for two or three colour logos, where you need really sharp edges.

The only time you should really use png's are when you need full support for transparency, gradients etc. Just remember that IE6 doesn't support PNG transparency unless you patch it.

d a v e
02-15-2009, 01:58 PM
just to expand on what ricky said - you can safely use 8-bit pngs (equivalent to gifs) with transparency i.e. one colour is set to transparent, but as he said using 32 bit pngs with alpha transparency requires patching as he said for ie6.

Ricky - do you see any difference in quality in your firefox/IE ?

chapo are you on AOL?

Corrosive
02-15-2009, 05:03 PM
just to expand on what ricky said - you can safely use 8-bit pngs (equivalent to gifs) with transparency i.e. one colour is set to transparent, but as he said using 32 bit pngs with alpha transparency requires patching as he said for ie6.

Ricky - do you see any difference in quality in your firefox/IE ?

chapo are you on AOL?

No diff at all between Chrome and IE7. Images look the same.

domedia
02-15-2009, 05:15 PM
I told you in your other thread Chapo (where you asked the same question) there is no distortion in the images.

Ricky55
02-15-2009, 06:05 PM
No, how could a browser really render an image differently, if you think about it? Text yes but not images.

Chapo
02-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Not sure whats wrong... i used two different PC computers using browsers with IE, and the images apeared low quality and color faded, i don't use AOL. But if you guys see the site fine, then its fine with me.

Is there a way to see the images configuration on IE ?

domedia
02-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Is there a way to see the images configuration on IE ? What do you mean?

Chapo
02-16-2009, 12:17 AM
I mean if there is a way to see the images configurations for IE. Because its so weird and odd that i already checked on 7 PC computers and i see the same problem whith my buttons images and the Upper and Bottom Logos. The images with the LightBox are fine, the only problem is whith the Logos and Buttons, they look faded and distorted.

Could it be an American failure with the IE, and thats why you guys in the UK can't see the problem ...? just wondering..

www.fotorazi.com

domedia
02-16-2009, 01:37 AM
I mean if there is a way to see the images configurations for IE. That's what you said the first time. What does that mean?

Could it be an American failure with the IE, and thats why you guys in the UK can't see the problem ...? Let me think about that.. No. 8) There is no separate IE version for the US. And I don't live in the U.K 8)

d a v e
02-16-2009, 03:15 AM
chapo can you at least post a screenshot of what you see in your IE?

Chapo
02-16-2009, 04:12 AM
Here is the Screenshot of a FireFox and Safari browser at the top Vs. IE at the bottom of the screenshot.

Chapo
02-16-2009, 04:26 AM
Check out the Corners of the Table, the Logo and the Buttons of my menu. All distorted and color fades, low Quality images.

Here is where a posted the images of my sreenshots.

www.tuemisora.com

Cary
02-16-2009, 06:12 AM
The sharp, bottom picture is what I'm seeing in all my browsers.

Ricky55
02-16-2009, 10:37 AM
LOL what a question, that's got to be the best ever.... If you read that back to your self Chapo you've got to laugh. What could this possibly mean??

"I mean if there is a way to see the images configurations for IE."

Ricky55
02-16-2009, 10:40 AM
This post has cheered me up, just read that

Could it be an American failure with the IE, and thats why you guys in the UK can't see the problem ...?

An american failure with IE, love it.

Corrosive
02-16-2009, 10:50 AM
An american failure with IE, love it.

I think you could go quietly crazy thinking about this too hard :shock:

To add insult to injury the images even look fine in the browser on my Blackberry...but it is an English Blackberry :wink:

Ricky55
02-16-2009, 11:56 AM
I think Chapo already has...

Ricky55
02-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Joking a part have you got this sorted now chapo?

d a v e
02-16-2009, 01:17 PM
chapo are you using some sort of internet speed booster of some sort???

those images look like low very quality jpegs now...

domedia
02-16-2009, 04:59 PM
The screenshot shows that Chapo is seeing another image than we are. I'm 99% sure his ISP is optimizing and caching images. It's insane I know, but it happens. :-(

Corrosive
02-16-2009, 05:04 PM
The screenshot shows that Chapo is seeing another image than we are. I'm 99% sure his ISP is optimizing and caching images. It's insane I know, but it happens. :-(

Can they do that?? Talk about 'not getting the service you paid for' :shock:

Ricky55
02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
That's a disgrace if they are, what a con. I've never heard of that, its probably an American failure of ISP's.

d a v e
02-16-2009, 06:40 PM
that's why i asked if he was on AOL as they used (still do?) had image compression on by default to appear faster...

Chapo
02-16-2009, 07:11 PM
I know its sounds crazy and you guys are making fun out of it and cheered you up, but hey... i gave you the prove, and the client already asked me about. I have no clue on whats wrong so guess what.... i figured out the problem and i wasn't far from my thoughts and Domedia's.

The problem was real and simple... its true that every PC laptop had the same problem only with IE, and Domedia gave me the clue about ISP is optimizing and caching images, its sounds Insane but true.

I was using At&t 3G wireless and that was the problem. I change to my home DSL and worked great. So that explains kind of everything, At&t otpimizes images to a lower quality so it could be faster in the 3G wireless. But it doesn't with FireFox, Safari, Opera, Shiira and others, just IE.

So, sometimes weird and Odd things happens, even if it sounds insane and crazy. But at least i cheered up Ricky and my mate Corrosive. Thanx for the Hint Domedia, now you could write about this in the DW book.

Ricky55
02-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Only messing about Chapo, glad you've got it sorted.

We've all learnt something anyway, I didn't know that ISP's did this.

Chapo
02-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Ricky relax.... i'm chilling... but hey, i also cheered up loud, its funny but odd and weird things occure one every while. So, i'm proudly happy i learned something new.

Corrosive
02-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Ricky relax.... i'm chilling... but hey, i also cheered up loud, its funny but odd and weird things occure one every while. So, i'm proudly happy i learned something new.

I think we all learned something new today. Thanks mate.