PDA

View Full Version : Issues with colors of links

Dreamer
02-14-2009, 01:16 PM
First of all.... good day to you all. I am new to this forum and fairly new to dreamweaver as well. I was more or less forced into using it when I had to take over a website at a school attended by one of my sons. Apart from updating information on that site etc. I really did not do anything else.

HOWEVER .... I have recently offered to help a friend out with his site. While I have a few other issues as well, my biggest frustration at this point is figuring out what I am doing wrong with the color of the "links". I created a template and the links are embedded in a table on the template. Using page properties, I have selected my "link color" and the color of my "rollover links" (that was simple, I thought). In the browser, this would work... ONCE... as the visited link would turn purple after clicking, not to change back to the original link color. So, after reading a few forums etc, I figured, purple is "default color" of visited links.
That did not help me to much though, as setting the color of visited link to another color would only change the color of my problem, i.e. how do I PREVENT visited links to change color forever? I really do not care whether I can see if a link has been visited or not.

Please be gentle...... :-D

Corrosive
02-14-2009, 01:37 PM
First of all.... good day to you all. I am new to this forum and fairly new to dreamweaver as well. I was more or less forced into using it when I had to take over a website at a school attended by one of my sons. Apart from updating information on that site etc. I really did not do anything else.

HOWEVER .... I have recently offered to help a friend out with his site. While I have a few other issues as well, my biggest frustration at this point is figuring out what I am doing wrong with the color of the "links". I created a template and the links are embedded in a table on the template. Using page properties, I have selected my "link color" and the color of my "rollover links" (that was simple, I thought). In the browser, this would work... ONCE... as the visited link would turn purple after clicking, not to change back to the original link color. So, after reading a few forums etc, I figured, purple is "default color" of visited links.
That did not help me to much though, as setting the color of visited link to another color would only change the color of my problem, i.e. how do I PREVENT visited links to change color forever? I really do not care whether I can see if a link has been visited or not.

Please be gentle...... :-D

Make your visited links the same colour as your normal links in Page Properties.

Dreamer
02-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi Corrosive,

Thansk for suggestion. I have done that .... but nomatter what I do, once I have clicked the link, the link will go to whatever color selected and the rollover effect does not work any longer (I guess, but who am I, it now sees is at a visited link). Kept me up last night .....

Corrosive
02-14-2009, 01:45 PM
This really shouldn't be happening. Have you got any code or a link you can post please?

Dreamer
02-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi again,

This is the website I started working on last night,

http://www.charlestonexperience.net/

I have temporarily parked it under a link of another site that (time permitting) I'd like to develop.

I have also developed, and am maintaining, this site for our local fishing club here in Charleston, South Carolina.

http://www.eastcooperfishingclub.net/

I know, not an amazing design, but it works quite well for the club.

Corrosive
02-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Hi again,

This is the website I started working on last night,

http://www.charlestonexperience.net/

I have temporarily parked it under a link of another site that (time permitting) I'd like to develop.

I have also developed, and am maintaining, this site for our local fishing club here in Charleston, South Carolina.

http://www.eastcooperfishingclub.net/

I know, not an amazing design, but it works quite well for the club.

Try changing the order of your link styles...

a:link {
color: #666666;
text-decoration: none;
}
a:visited {
color: #666666;
}
a:hover {
color: #000000;
}
a:active {
}

It matters what order they go in. Also, you are using a font called 'Myriad Web Pro'. Chances are most people won't have this on their PC/Mac. I haven't and I (sadly) have hundreds of fonts loaded. You should try and stick to fonts that are common on even basic Operating Systems. Arial, Verdana, Times etc. If you really want to use your font then give the browser some other options...

font-family: 'Myriad Web Pro, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

Personally I'd use a more common font.

Nice layout and look by the way. :)

Dreamer
02-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Corrosive .....

you're my hero !! (for the day at least) :-D:-D

depilator
02-14-2009, 06:03 PM
It's always good to keep css styles for links in order like corrosive describe:

1. a:link
2. a:visited
3. a:hover
4. a:active

domedia
02-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Tip:
Use a standard (saved) CSS style sheet for all you projects.
In it put styles that you always use on websites, like body, links, headers etc. This is a great starting point for a project and will speed up the initial part of the development.

Some people call this a CSS framework. I can also recommend a reset style sheet that makes sure all browsers treat all HTML elements the same way as far as margin/padding/font size etc goes.
Check out Eric Meyers reset css.
http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2007/05/01/reset-reloaded/