PDA

View Full Version : how to inserting live camera feed into my website

marklyn
02-13-2009, 12:36 AM
All of my IP cameras have RTSP capability and that is what I thought I needed to create a web page where I could 'see' each camera view, yet I'm running into dead ends so I'll ask.
What is the easiest way to code an html page to display live images of my cameras. I'd like to see a page with 6 boxes (for my 5 cameras) all displaying live images. I've researched RTSP but it looks like I'd need real player to display video feed using that. I've also gone to some live feed sites and viewed the source code thinking I'd be able to figure it out, but no.
Any example sites with code I could copy and modify would be very helpful to me. I'm usually adept enough to figure out something when I have a model (or code) to go by.
Would I use Java maybe?

domedia
02-13-2009, 01:07 AM
Wasn't there software that came with the camera servers?

marklyn
02-13-2009, 01:50 AM
Yes software came with the cameras to view the cameras but I want the ability to view my cameras from any internet connection, anywhere, without having to have anything other than an internet connection and a web browser (if possible).

domedia
02-13-2009, 02:59 PM
And your software documentation does not explain how to access your cameras thought the internet?
I would call them and ask for instructions.. sounds like it got lost somewhere.

marklyn
02-13-2009, 06:57 PM
And your software documentation does not explain how to access your cameras thought the internet?
I would call them and ask for instructions.. sounds like it got lost somewhere.

I can access my cameras through the internet using the cameras internal software (server), but that's not what I want. I want to be able to view my cameras in windows on a web page that I create. I wouldn't expect the manufacturer's instructions to have that type of information in them. To me, that'd be like a car manufacturer telling you how to put in a new stereo. I don't expect someone to tell me exactly how to code it but examples or pointing in the right direction would be helpful.
I'm fairly adept at creating basic web pages with flash video, tables, etc., but this is an area I've never worked with before. I also know there are lots of client programs out there that can display your camera pages, but I don't want to have to be dependent on a particular installed program when I may be on a computer/laptop that only has internet access and a basic browser.

domedia
02-13-2009, 07:11 PM
ok, you need something on your webserver that can catch the stream, like a quicktime server or ms media server.

I'm not sure I agree with the analogy, as this should be a frequent implementation of the camera and camera server software. Maybe look if there is a user forum/area on the manufacturers website.

marklyn
02-13-2009, 07:35 PM
ok, you need something on your webserver that can catch the stream, like a quicktime server or ms media server.

I'm not sure I agree with the analogy, as this should be a frequent implementation of the camera and camera server software. Maybe look if there is a user forum/area on the manufacturers website.

I use a hosted web server that I pay for annually so it's not within my control to do what you're suggesting. As far as the documentation goes, the online documentation and community forums for Trendnet don't really talk too much about what I'm attempting to do since I think this is a bit out of the norm (meaning other people take the easy road and use the client software that either comes with the camera or something free or something downloadable).

Here are some examples, not necessarily exactly what I want do to but certainly in the ball park. These example sites are basically a web site that is talking to 'something', and I think in most/all cases could be talking directly to an IP camera.
http://www.galveston.com/webcams/
http://eflabcam.dcccd.edu/view/view.shtml
http://webcam.wwu.edu/

I could find more, but this should be a decent representation of what I'm wanting to do.

domedia
02-14-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm pretty sure that without server software that supports the rtsp protocol, you're not going anywhere.
Anyone else have experience with streaming webcams?

marklyn
02-14-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm pretty sure that without server software that supports the rtsp protocol, you're not going anywhere.
Anyone else have experience with streaming webcams?

Actually I'm not sure that's the case. I can use my realplayer on my mobile phone and see the camera using RTSP address. I'm making the assumption that the camera itself is acting as a 'server' since that is how the documentation refers to it throughout.