PDA

View Full Version : nav bar choices

rattlsnak
02-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Just curious as to the pros/cons of using FW or FL for building nav bar. I know you can do more with Flash, but as far as 'normal' nav bar behaviors, what is the difference between these two programs?

Like the nav bar at the top of this page. It doesnt do anything special, per say, like animate, or move around, etc, so does it matter if its built in FW or FL?

domedia
02-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Yes it matters. Flash requires the flash pluginto work. It's not a good idea to use this for a crucial element as the navigation, imho. It stops all other systems like search engines to use the nav as well. Fireworks is a graphics program so not sure what you want it to do apart from making images you could use for your navigation. This site uses a HTML list with background image that change on :hover.

rattlsnak
02-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Thanks, thats what I figured. Yes, I just use FW to make the button states, but I was considering venturing into making sites that have Flash nav bars because of the capability of design effects, like animated, moving down/hit over states etc.

domedia
02-08-2009, 02:23 AM
Flash can make really cool stuff, but sometimes we have to be careful not go over board :)
Navigation is particularly vulnerable. Remember that it has but one purpose, to make it easy for people to navigate your site.
There are some cool JavaScript solutions out there that degrades gracefully and that make nifty nav bars.