PDA

View Full Version : buying a laptop

Mark Ryan
02-07-2009, 02:59 AM
I'm a student with a budget of $650. I'm looking to purchase my first laptop so I can learn how to use Dreamweaver and Fireworks. I'm planning on purchasing the whole Design Premium CS4 so I can learn the other applications later on.

1. What kind of CPU should I be looking for - Intel or AMD?
2. What kind of video card should I be looking for - ATI, Intel, or nVidia?
3. In your experiences, is a 15" easy to work with or should I go with a 17"?
4. Is there a specific laptop that you recently purchased that you're happy with? I might be able to go a little over my budget.

Thank you

davidj
02-07-2009, 05:37 PM
look at the best spec you can afford

XanXus
02-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Im sure that a 15" would do the job, processors and graphics card brands aint much difference really if your doing it for that kind of job, they only matter when your like gaming and stuff.

davidj
02-07-2009, 11:26 PM
When multi tasking with browsers graphics code etc screen size is an impotant aspect of the job
I suggest a big screen and an additional monitor if you can afford it

logomania24
02-18-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm a student with a budget of $650. I'm looking to purchase my first laptop so I can learn how to use Dreamweaver and Fireworks. I'm planning on purchasing the whole Design Premium CS4 so I can learn the other applications later on.

1. What kind of CPU should I be looking for - Intel or AMD?
2. What kind of video card should I be looking for - ATI, Intel, or nVidia?
3. In your experiences, is a 15" easy to work with or should I go with a 17"?
4. Is there a specific laptop that you recently purchased that you're happy with? I might be able to go a little over my budget.

Thank you

:confused:
I too am planning on buying a laptop.. though i have no idea on which specs to find...
What is the laptop for an aspiring graphic designer like me? All i know i need like the right video card, and memory, and of course hard disk space, but i have no idea how much is enough?
As much as possible if i ever plan on upgrading i'd want that to happen like 3 yrs from now....? :mrgreen:
And something that doesn't heat up fast... I do plan on using it for long periods of time.. A personal computer is out of the question.. I need something I can bring along with me..

Corrosive
02-18-2009, 08:40 AM
:confused:
I too am planning on buying a laptop.. though i have no idea on which specs to find...
What is the laptop for an aspiring graphic designer like me? All i know i need like the right video card, and memory, and of course hard disk space, but i have no idea how much is enough?
As much as possible if i ever plan on upgrading i'd want that to happen like 3 yrs from now....? :mrgreen:
And something that doesn't heat up fast... I do plan on using it for long periods of time.. A personal computer is out of the question.. I need something I can bring along with me..

You might want to have a look at the Macbook range. They seem to be the weapon of choice for a lot graphic designers.

davidj
02-18-2009, 08:41 AM
dont get me started

Corrosive
02-18-2009, 08:48 AM
dont get me started

Beret, goatee, smock and a macbook.

davidj
02-18-2009, 08:54 AM
low slung jeans
Man Bag
baseball trainers (70's style)
calling people DUDE (see baltimore policeman) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgWrV8TcUc)

policeman is me!

Rob_Che
02-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Nothing like me... I'm shaven headed / sideburns / thick rimmed 50s glasses... not at all designery... d'oh!

Corrosive
02-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Nothing like me... I'm shaven headed / sideburns / thick rimmed 50s glasses... not at all designery... d'oh!

Don't forget the Marina!!

Rob_Che
02-18-2009, 04:33 PM
OI! shh...

Corrosive
02-18-2009, 05:15 PM
OI! shh...
:oops: sorry Che... didn't realise it was a secret.

davidj
02-18-2009, 07:47 PM
marina pah!

now alegros. Now theres a motor

Corrosive
02-18-2009, 07:54 PM
marina pah!

now alegros. Now theres a motor

Surely the Maxi was the jewel in Austin's crown? Available in both burnt orange and sludge green.

http://www.austinmaxiclub.org/

davidj
02-18-2009, 07:58 PM
aye but the alergro knew that you hadnt fasten your seatbelt and a lady would inform you of the fact

now thats cutting edge

Rob_Che
02-18-2009, 09:00 PM
That was the Maestro DJ... *tut*

davidj
02-18-2009, 09:01 PM
damn ya eyes