PDA

View Full Version : Older to newer

Dennis
02-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Hello, this is probably a really stupid question.

Years ago I created a very simple (text and images and links) web site on Dreamweaver 3. That required an older Mac operating system. Now I have been forced to get a newer computer that will not run the older Mac OS and I have a chance to buy Dreamweaver 8 for it.

My question is, am I going to lose my Dreamweaver 3 web site or is there someway I can transfer all those pages and images from DW3 to DW8?

If I just copy my base web site folder off the older computer and put it on the newer computer will the DW 8 be able to read the DW3?

thanks
Dennis

Corrosive
02-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Hello, this is probably a really stupid question.

Years ago I created a very simple (text and images and links) web site on Dreamweaver 3. That required an older Mac operating system. Now I have been forced to get a newer computer that will not run the older Mac OS and I have a chance to buy Dreamweaver 8 for it.

My question is, am I going to lose my Dreamweaver 3 web site or is there someway I can transfer all those pages and images from DW3 to DW8?

If I just copy my base web site folder off the older computer and put it on the newer computer will the DW 8 be able to read the DW3?

thanks
Dennis

You should just be able to define your site in DW8 again and name the root folder the same and put your files/folders in that. You might even try manage sites and export and you should get a file with the site settings to import into DW8. TBH I've not used DW3 so not sure how basic/compatible it is but give it a go.

Dennis
02-06-2009, 07:40 PM
For future reference if anyone ever has the same question again. It was unbelievably easy to go from DW3 to DW8. The DW8 is perfectly happy to work with your DW3 files and images and root folder. Piece of cake.
thanks
Dennis

domedia
02-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Dreamweaver is just a text editor on steroids :)