PDA

View Full Version : Video ALT IMG for WMV embedding. Do-able?

carolinawebdesign
02-04-2009, 11:18 PM
When embedding a Windows Media Video file, can you have it show an image for where the video goes?

Look at www.myfortmill.com/videos.html (http://www.myfortmill.com/videos.html) and you will see what I mean.

The properties mgr has a place for an Alternate Image, I was thinking it was that, but I cannot click on it...

HELP.

coloeagle
02-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Not sure I understand you. Are you wanting to have a normal image instead of the video?
Are you wanting this image then to access the video?

carolinawebdesign
02-05-2009, 12:22 AM
I am sorry. The video is embedded, and it is properly working.

What I wanted to have was an image where the blank spot is between the top of the video and the play buttons on the bottom.

Cary
02-05-2009, 06:31 AM
I don't know if it will work, but you might try using background images behind the videos. By the way, your videos all start playing simultaneously in Firefox and Opera and probably everything else that uses the embed tag.

carolinawebdesign
02-05-2009, 04:50 PM
How do I fix the videos starting all at the same time in Firefox and Opera?

Ricky55
02-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Use flash to deploy your videos, wmv' don't even play on the mac without a plug in.

If you do use flash and the FLV / SWF to deploy your videos flash offers the feature where you can grab any frame of the video to use as the still.

carolinawebdesign
02-06-2009, 02:45 AM
Thanks. I do have Flash and will have to learn how to do that.

Ricky55
02-06-2009, 09:05 AM
It's far better that's why nearly every uses it check out gotoandlearn.com for some excellent video tuts on flash video

Now with cs4 you can do some really cool 3d stuff check out that site

carolinawebdesign
02-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Went to gotoandlearn.com and WOW there are alot of videos there to learn. I am using my "Flash Video Encoder" program to turn my movie into an FLV file. I am hoping that is the right place to start. I am off to watch one of the videos named
Flash Video Basics 1

This tutorial introduces you to using FLV files in your Flash movies.
Length: 06:13

Ricky55
02-07-2009, 02:34 PM
All the videos on there are excellent, the only problem with Flash video basics is that Lee (who does all the tuts) is using Action Script 2 as he recorded this prior to AS3.

If you have an older version of Flash prior to CS3 you will have to use AS2 anyway but if you have CS3 or 4 and you are just starting out you'd be better learning Action Script 3.

Lee has updated some of his older recordings to AS3 check out

ActionScript 3 Video Basics

Ricky55
02-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Just been looking back at some of those older video tuts, they are still excellent and will still give you a great grounding in flash video but just be aware of AS3, ideally watch some of those to get the basics and then go back to the AS3 one mentioned above. You should though if you can learn AS3 not 2.

If you want to learn flash though you won't go far wrong on that site, the guy who records them actually works for Adobe now and is one of the leading lights in flash development. He also runs a forum (just for flash) so not in competition with DW Club at

http://www.gotoandlearnforum.com/