PDA

View Full Version : Images broken in site file - fine in Dreamweaver and browsers...

Darlene822
02-04-2009, 02:29 AM
Hi! I'm new here and fairly new to Dreamweaver. I'm using DW CS3 and am having an odd problem. I've gone through many threads and most of the problems like mine are reversed -- my images are broken in the root folder on my desktop, but show fine in DW and the browsers.

I was installing an external hard drive, and inadvertantly agreed to some added software - memeo auto sync and picassa for photos. I don't know that the auto sync did anything as I didn't use it, but picassa went through all my photos (including site folder) and altered the way they were viewed. I've uninstalled all this software. I've since gone through 'properties' of the photos and re-set the photos to open with Adobe. I also made a copy of the site folder to put in the new hard drive, but I did not realize I could do it through DW, so I just right-clicked and copied it in.

I don't know if any of this had anything to do with the photos breaking in the recent files (only recent and new ones are affected.) The template also wasn't working, and now for some reason it is. I've been playing around with it checking settings and I must have done something, although I don't know what.

I did get some advice to download the photos from the remote site, but I still had questions about that process - do I just 'get' the photos from the remote site using DW? Or is there another way I should do this? Or, do you think I just screwed up a setting with DW, and I just need to click something to make it right? -- (I know, wishful thinking on that last one!)

Also, do you have any idea what caused this problem so I don't do it again?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - Thanks in advance! ----and by the way, this is a great site!!

depilator
02-04-2009, 12:30 PM
First....did You define Your site ?

Probably it's problem with paths of Your images. Check it

Do You see a red X ?
Check the path to the image in dreamweaver (in the properties panel) . Remember that your file structure in your local machine should be identical on the server for everything to display properly.

Darlene822
02-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Yes, the site is defined, and I checked the path structure - they are the same. The only thing you see is the 'alt' attribute describing what it is, so it is accessing that much - just not acknowledging the images. I called it up in Firefox, and I looked at the web developer for broken images and that is where it tells me the images are broken.

I've not seen a red X - where would I see that?

(..and thanks for responding)

d a v e
02-04-2009, 03:30 PM
check the links for the page and see if the images come up broken and if they do then fix them (in the site panel/files panel right click on the page and choose check links)
sounds like your paths are still correct on the server (the lived site) but are missing/relocated on your local site (the one on your pc)

Darlene822
02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Ok, I've checked that - there are no broken links.

"sounds like your paths are still correct on the server (the lived site) but are missing/relocated on your local site (the one on your pc)" dave

- I think you're right - how would I fix that?

Darlene822
02-04-2009, 03:45 PM
I have a thought - I just right clicked again on my "images" folder in DW - there was an option to "Refresh local files" - would this work, or would there be a possibility I could transfer the problem from my local files to DW? - If this were to happen, I'm sunk!