PDA

View Full Version : HTML Emails

Ricky55
01-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Do any of you guys ever created HTML emails?

Been asked by a company to create series of promotions.

Just wondered if you had any tips / resources you could pass on.

Thanks

Ricky55

domedia
01-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Where I work we've created our own applications for this, but most companies will use a company like Mailchimp, constant contact or vertical response.

As far as creating the HTML email:
1. Use old skool tables for design. Email clients have extremely limited support for fancy stuff.
2. Use absolute paths for all images pointing to your server where the images are.

Ricky55
01-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Cheers Dom I'll check those out.

Corrosive
01-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Cheers Dom I'll check those out.

Keep us posted mate cos we might have to do some of these really soon.

Cheers

urbanrays
01-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Keep us posted mate cos we might have to do some of these really soon.

Cheers

Yeah me too

edbr
01-30-2009, 12:31 AM
i send quite a lot of thee and ive found this

styling : gmail/hotmail etc basically strip out information in the head but if you add your styling in the body you can use divs. this is also why you must use inline styling ie <font>

Images are a pain as often it requires a click to give permission to download. so can defeat the object.
Outlook if you add a folder images to its stationary folder and link source to images/mypic.jpg will enbed an image and strangelr wil with some servers make them appear . Danger here is being identified as a spammer.
Sending e mails en masse has some points to wach. hosters have a maximum mails that can be sent per hour , as low as 60 to maybe a couple of hundred and will delete more.
yahoo etc detects e mails sent to them in one session ( in the case of yahoo i think its 9 but i use much less than this in a session)
add an option to unsubscribe from the mailing list or into the spam box you go and Micheal Moore thinks about using you as a subject for his next film.

if you are a lazy a like me these can help.

Selida2 is a wysiwyg editor (free) thart adds all its styling inline.

Foxmail (free) has a very nifty template maker specifically for e mail html

Pommo (free) is a mailer (newsletters) which has the same as above but has the options of setting the mails to detect a max number of mails sent to any domain, set the mails per hour allowed
the option of using smtp settings instead of php () which will also be stopped by some hosters in excess

Ricky55
01-30-2009, 03:48 AM
That's great thanks for that. More to this than I first realized I just said yes to my client thinking it would be a easy to do.

Those programs you mention are any available for the mac?

I will report back how I get on for others.

Thanks again

edbr
01-30-2009, 04:18 AM
not sure , sorry

edbr
01-30-2009, 05:01 AM
just yahoogled and it seems pommo is in mac version

Ricky55
01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Cheers mate