PDA

View Full Version : Embedding dilemma

fmw
01-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks in advance for your patience. I have DW8. I bought a web site template that features CSS and I know nothing about CSS. My shopping cart (Eshop from Cyberstrong.) The cart software allows me to embed a line of code in the editable area that shows the results of searches, browses etc from the database as well as all the cart pages.

The template is called main.dwt. I can figure out how to edit that without a problem. I did so and saved the result to secondary.dwt. But that isn't an html or asp web page and that's what Eshop wants. So I save the thing as an html page. Most of the code is grayed out, I assume because it was generated from a style sheet.

If I put the line of code betwen the start and end lines of the editable area it results in having the cart not embedded where it belongs. Instead, it displays to the left and the style-sheet-made-html-page displays to the right.

My guess is that I need to create an asp web page that has all the elements of the style sheet but doesn't actually have the style sheet attached to it. Seems like I need to save the dwt file as an asp file without anybody knowing it was a dwt file.

I'm looking for suggestions. I appreciate any thoughts you can provide this CSS ignoramus. Thanks.

domedia
01-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi fmw and welcome to the forums.
Long term you just have to bite the apple and learn web development. Dreamweaver is a tool for web designers, it does not make you one or come in replacement for one.

In your particular situation I would contact the Cyberstrong support people. Your problem lies in making a document that passes their requirements. I would be surprised if they have not had other Dreamweaver users ask them similar question.

fmw
01-28-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm certainly not a very good web developer even though I've developed a few. I'm an e-merchant. I've done the thing with Cyberstrong Eshop many times. It just involves writing a line of code at the point you want the output to appear. It has always worked for me but I've never had a CSS in a web site before. Thanks.

domedia
01-28-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm not familiar with Cyberstrong or how they do things, but it sounds like this would be a great opportunity to learn Web Standards and CSS.

fmw
01-29-2009, 01:37 AM
Well I learned a few things over the past few hours. And, I answered my question. The answer is that you can't save a template as an html document and have it editable. You must open a new document with a template, then detach the template from the document and then save it as html or asp or whatever.

I have a lot more to go but you can see the results at http://www.computerhq.us (http://www.computerhq.us) Not exactly professional web development but it will fool some people. ;)

If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

domedia
01-29-2009, 02:28 AM
That looks like a nice ecommerce system they have there.
I think the design looks good.
Maybe you can use an Image Replacement technique for the logo?
That way you could have a nice graphic for your logo while keeping the benefit of using text in your source.

fmw
01-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Since I don't know what Image Replacement technique is, I'll do some research and look into it. Thanks for the comments.

domedia
01-29-2009, 01:31 PM
See the article in my signature :)