PDA

View Full Version : Dotted Line Misaligning Entire Page

omnihyphenate
01-28-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm setting up these sites for my boss, and have run into the same problem, randomly, inexplicably, on a couple of them. There's a dotted line border where there shouldn't be any border at all. I've use Div Tags with CSS styling intermittently. The nav bar uses linked images which I've applied a '0' border to for each individual button (Home, About, etc.). I know nothing about programming, I basically just know Photoshop. http://www.nathanlear.com/ (it's sort of a gag/promotional thing, it's still in development) ... you can see the black line (it's dotted inside Dreamweaver) below the nav bar and above the start of text. It's ugly in Explorer, but in Firefox it mangles the entire page. I assume the linked images are shifting it down somehow, but I don't know why it does it in some of my designs but not others. Is there an easy way to fix this?

EDIT: Okay the black line isn't showing up in Firefox today, but it did yesterday. You can see breaks in the image of the nav bar. Anyway you can see it in Explorer or Chrome.

domedia
01-28-2009, 10:19 PM
You designed the site using tables, so you miss some of the advantages you'd get if you had built it using web standards.

All I can say is that it has something to do with images/NathanLear_09.jpg. It's in a cell that is taller than it's row.

Have no idea how to fix it.

Anyone else still uses tables for layout that can give more info?

omnihyphenate
01-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Holy smokes I have no idea what you're talking about. I guess I knew I was using tables, but I didn't know about this Web Standards business. I hate tables so. I think you may have helped though, I'll take a look at it, thanks.

EDIT: I was able to use that info to fix it :)

domedia
01-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Holy smokes I have no idea what you're talking about. Then it's time to get your student hat on, you can't do web development without knowing anything about it :-)
Welcome to the forums btw!

edbr
01-29-2009, 12:34 AM
yes hi welcome to the forum. if you hate tables you are going to feel at home here