PDA

View Full Version : Simple Database

hummer2001
01-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Hi again guys,

A client has approached me about a section for his site which would involve a simple enough database system and I was hoping that the good people of the club might be able to advise me on what to technologies to research.

Basically the client has 3 different shops and he does repairs on items in one of them and the other 2 are a face for where the items are handed in to be repaired. At the moment they have 3 individual excel spreadsheets where each item has its various attributes (e.g. type/make, date it was left in on, price for the repair, which shop it is currently located in, etc.) and each of the 3 databases has to be updated in the three locations which obviously is not very time efficient. The client wants the three shops to be able to all work on one online database so it is clearer what stage the repair is at and that there is much less clerical errors from people entering different information.

I am wondering what you guys think the best technologies would be to create the system. There would need to be a password system to access the database and various textfields for adding the item details, updating an item, deleting an item, etc. If there are any good web resources / books for dummies on how to set up a system like this please let me know.

Thanks very much. :)

davidj
01-28-2009, 05:00 PM
i suggest PHP and MYSQL for this

there is a learning curve but its a good technology to know

There are a multitude of resources out there on the web. There are some tutorials on this site and I teach one-to-one if your interested

WallyJ
01-28-2009, 05:16 PM
No real shortcuts for creating a custom database.

I would use php and mysql through DW and setup up the fields etc. in mysql and access them through PHP in the web pages.

I would also make the client get an SSL certificate so their online application will be secure. That way they can feel free to also input CC numbers etc.

You will have to create a user system or use an existing script, or use the one built into the Developer Toolkit for DW (thought this does not work for CS4 yet, i think)

Hope that helps. If this is over your head, you may want to subcontract with someone who can help you accomplish this for your client so you don't lose them.

WallyJ

davidj
01-28-2009, 06:59 PM
i agree

if you don't know the language then you may need to subcontract else its learning on the job which could be trial by fire

I advise that when writing systems professionally that you do so by hand and not rely on dreamweaver bells and whistles. Your client will always require some functionality which is outside the scope of the toolkit some where down the line and if you don't understand the language you wont be able to extend it

edbr
01-28-2009, 11:44 PM
maybe php and mysql for dummies would be a book to start with.
tuts on this site also.
re databases EMS , Heidi ,Sqlyog are some of the free programs that can help.
the DW wizard, although i completely agree with David about its limitations, can set up a user password system

hummer2001
01-29-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks very much for the suggestions guys. I had a feeling that it would be mysql and php involved having looked at a few of davids tutorials before christmas. I have done some simple clientside php for sending emails contaning information from textfields, but this sounds like a definate step up. As a matter of interest david how much do you charge?? ;)

Its something id love to learn as I think it would be very useful, but really humming and hawing about the time constraints of my evil boss who says I either do it all or not at all (no subcontracting)!!!!! Unfortunately his evil garlic stained claw knows no kindness :)

davidj
01-29-2009, 08:46 AM
its FREE....

well sort of

i rely on your generosity if you think the course is better than a sauna full of ladies!

Maybe not.... But its good, Honest

hummer2001
01-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Free is always good :mrgreen: Maybe I could buy you a new mic!!!

You know ive been trying to think of an easier solution for this and having watched another of your tutorials (the file upload one), it has given me an idea. Seeing as the clients already all use excel, what could be done is a file uploading system where the .xls file is just uploaded and downloaded. In order to accomplish this there would have to be a system employed so that if two people are working on the file at the same time that one wouldnt overwrite the info uploaded by another if they were uploaded around the same time. In other words a page would have to appear to say that the file is in use, but maybe give access to a read only version:confused: .
Im trying to think of potential pitfalls for this before I commit.
Thoughts ???

davidj
01-29-2009, 10:48 AM
we need a chat to evaluate your requirements

on the drink tonight but i am off tomorrow due to the forcast of me being in a complete mess due to sambuka poisoning.

I should be able to string together a few sentences which may help though

message me in the morning.

hummer2001
01-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Sounds great !! I am all for learning new things (especially when the boss cracks his whip) ;) but I had to laugh while reading your earlier comment :

learning on the job which could be trial by fire

as I then looked over at your avatar, and thought to myself, maybe an easier solution would be better !!!

Ill pm you in the morning, thanks dave.