PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Preview in Browser doesn't work after uploading the 1 site

Christin
01-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi, I am working on a website. I uploaded just the first site (index.php) and now if I want to continue editing the rest of the website, dreamweaver is not able to give the preview in browser. It always startes connecting to the server and afterwards it is telling me: not able,... and can not show the page.... It makes me insane!
How can I change that?

urbanrays
01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Php is a scripting language that is server side and you will not be able to view through dreamweaver by using the preview in browser, you need to set you pc up to act like a server that reads php.

Christin
01-27-2009, 10:10 AM
I see, but I just saved the first site as a php. The others remain as html.
The server wanted to have the name "index.php". This file I just substituted it, so I renamed my index.html to index.php. (Do you know what I mean?)
But this one is already online. And the problem is just that the others, which I am still busy with, can not be shown in preview.
As well we are working here with Mac, so I choosed the browsers Safari & Mozilla...
Thanks for your help

urbanrays
01-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Sorry cant see why you cant preview htm files in browser.
Can you put the code for one of the pages you are working on up.

urbanrays
01-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Can you also give us a web address for the site you have online.
And when you say "server" do you go through a hosting company for your webspace or do you have your own dedicated server.

Christin
01-27-2009, 12:17 PM
it is www.karivo.com and we go via globat.com.
Perhaps I have to tell you that we are settled in Namibia/ Africa. So it takes as well bit longer to upload it, but with that button Preview it was really a pleasure.
It was working till the first site was online. very strange,...

urbanrays
01-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Looking at your site are you creating differnet pages like this one for other lodges etc in africa?
In other words have you copied and pasted your index page with the ext php without knowing so when you edit the next page it thinks its a php page still.
If that makes sense

And by all means if you want to put me up in the lodge and pay for the flight I will gladly sort this out even if it takes me 2 weeks

Christin
01-27-2009, 12:57 PM
it is my first website. But i am creating as well one for our travel company :lol:
But cant follow your thoughts.
this first site shows is just like the introduction. Then you shall click english or german and you will be transfered to the "real" page, where you will find as well a simple menu bar and from there you can click you everywhere... do you understand me. i think it does not make sense if i give you the code. It is not depending on the content I believe...

hui and my dear,..the flight is the most expensive,... It is not that expensive to stay at this lodge. I dont know where u come from, but there are a lot of direct flights via London & Frankfurt. So if u wanna come, we can just consult you with the planning of the tour ;-)
PLUS the problem we have to solve will not take 2 weeks ,..hihihi

Corrosive
01-27-2009, 01:06 PM
And by all means if you want to put me up in the lodge and pay for the flight I will gladly sort this out even if it takes me 2 weeks

Nice try though Chris :wink:

urbanrays
01-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Have you tried just creating another basic webpage not associated with any of the ones your building in dw and save it in another directory and see if you can preview this.
When you save the lets say german.htm and look at it in the directory has it got an icon for your internet browser or a dreamweaver icon.

And going off the subject in hand when you say the page you showed is your index page a couple of questions
1. What is the site for is it online prescence or do you want to be battling with other travel companies to get high in google etc
2.And if you are just starting your site and working on the navigation side have you thought about using CSS to create the site and come away from using tables.

Christin
01-27-2009, 01:47 PM
yes yes, yes, i thought about that and really it is working with another website.
So it has something to do with php and html, or because I uploaded one site of them....

this index.php is for batteling (there are a lot of lodges in Nam) & as well finding quick what it is about

and yes I heard about CSS, but I like creating tables :lol:
I dont want it complicated

urbanrays
01-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Ok so if you can preview with another new page you created try moving the pages you working on out of that directory and put them in a new directory and work on them there.

Right the bit your not going to like.

You say you want to keep it simple working with tables, this will turn out not to be simple when you start testing your webpages in different browsers you will have all sorts of problems. You really need to go down the css route before you come up against so many problems.

And if you want to start battling with competitors to get a good position on google I want to say this in the nicest way I am afraid you need to go back to the drawing board.
Your index page must contain "content" "content" "content" you will really struggle getting high with the index page you have showed and what makes it a little worse is the industry you are battling.

Sorry to give this bad news

Christin
01-28-2009, 07:19 AM
yeah, not that bad news, because I knew it already.
But lets specify it with changing directory.
Does that mean: I will take all other data out off my file "site - karivo-site (mac...HD...)" or and save it as a new file? Or shall I make a copy from my data and put it in a new file. I heard that u should never rename a file....

urbanrays
01-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Myself personally would take the files out of your defined site and work on them from a different directory, if it helps you previewing in the browser then I really wouldnt care if its good or bad to move the files. the only trouble you will have is if you move for example "english.htm" page and dont move the images,css,java that goes with that page.

Hope this helps

Christin
01-28-2009, 11:24 AM
allright, then I will have the courage and will try it. Let u know if I get problems. Thanks a lot for sharing.:grin: