PDA

View Full Version : Text Within A Table

Lodovico
01-26-2009, 03:14 AM
Hi all im new here & to dreamweaver, but hopefully I can catch on fast. Im using dreamweaver cs3, and I have a 1 row, 1 column table with a large image as the bg. What I want to do is creat a small menu to the left on top of the image, but I cant get the cursor to the top of the table. Its to the left but its in the middle of the table, length wise. If I shorten the table the cursor then appears to be in the right position.. at the top of the table. But then the entire bg image of the table is not fully visible. If I go ahead and type the text, then pull the table down, the text pulls down too.. back to the middle...im like are you playing with me dreamweaver? : ) I have been looking for an alignment button or something to change the cursor to flash at the top of the table, but I see nothing... why cant this be easy? Can somebody tell me how to go about this, or is this just how it is?

urbanrays
01-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi Lodovico

Right the first problem you have is using tables, the second you have is trying to create a website using 1 cell.

This will never happen, the best advice I can give is as your very nmew to DW then start reading up about css and start tutorials regading building sites using css, dont make a major mistake of spending all your time with tables when all the advice will be directing you towards using css

A good place to start is here
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-box-model.php

hope this helps mate

Corrosive
01-26-2009, 08:34 AM
why cant this be easy?

Ah, the lament of every noob. Urbanrays is right. Get away from tables as fast as you can.

WallyJ
01-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Though getting away from tables is probably a good idea, if you are using them, try selecting the image and then hitting the left arrow key. This should put the cursor on the left of the image.

Then you can hit enter to drop it into a new paragraph if you want.

Hope that helps!

WallyJ

Lodovico
01-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks everybody, I stayed up very late last night trying to figure this one out, then finally went to bed. I did some reading and see that most DW users support getting away from using table... in a major way ha ha : )
So I will do some reading/tutorials on CSS. I guess my main reason for not going this route was becasue I was under the impression that if you used CSS that all your web pages had to look exactly the same. Which brings me to want to ask this question about this topic. If you use CSS can you use different css pages in one website, or do you have to use the same one? the website im creating is going to be more of an atristic portfollio one, not so much a shopping, or blog or a sign up type of site. So its important that all my pages do not look exactly the same as my images wont be the same size, and i wont be placing them in the same exact spot on every page. I hope this is understandble. Once again thanks for the feedback/friendliness;-)

Corrosive
01-26-2009, 05:50 PM
I was under the impression that if you used CSS that all your web pages had to look exactly the same. Which brings me to want to ask this question about this topic. If you use CSS can you use different css pages in one website, or do you have to use the same one? the website im creating is going to be more of an atristic portfollio one, not so much a shopping, or blog or a sign up type of site. So its important that all my pages do not look exactly the same as my images wont be the same size, and i wont be placing them in the same exact spot on every page. I hope this is understandble. Once again thanks for the feedback/friendliness;-)

You can have as many different layouts/designs etc. as you want. Bear in mind a few things though. 1. The more styles you have in your stylesheet the more complicated it gets. It will also take longer to download for users (only talking seconds difference here what with broadband and the like). 2. Your pages can all be different but they should all connect to the same one or two stylesheets. This will mean you can make site-wide changes to styles if you have to. 3. I believe that one of the fundamentals of web design is uniformity. Means users can easily find everything because it is where they expect it to be on every page. Some of the best artist portfolio sites I have seen are very, very simple and they let the pictures speak for themselves. You don't read the words or critique the page layout when you open up Playboy...if you catch my drift :wink: