PDA

View Full Version : footer overlapped.

dreamweaverntn
01-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Premade layout, new style sheet.
3 column elastic, header footer.
the two sidebars are uneven, text in both, and they overlap the footer.
How can I fix this?
Thanks!
Mark

coloeagle
01-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Are you floating your columns? You will need to tell the footer to clear left, right or both.

dreamweaverntn
01-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Yea, both are set to float r and l.
Is the footer supposed to float?

coloeagle
01-24-2009, 02:17 PM
No, just add clear:both; to the footer style rules in your css

dreamweaverntn
01-24-2009, 07:29 PM
WOW! Excellent. Sidebar 2 actually touches the footer and sidebar 1 is about 15-20 pxls up from it. If I add spaces in the sidebar 1, it just leaves a gap on the the OTHER side. Like a seesaw.
Is there a property to add to make them both touch the footer? Or I think I read something about creating a "faux" column in such instances?
Thanks guys. This is REALLY helping me learn.
Who knows, I might just end up liking CSS. :)

domedia
01-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Who knows, I might just end up liking CSS. :) If you want to make web pages, you have to learn CSS (unless you want all your pages to look like word documents).
Once you get a hang of it, it will be much easier for you to talk web design to other developers. :)

dreamweaverntn
01-24-2009, 09:25 PM
And I am learning.
But, does this mean I don't need to ask questions here..until I can
talk web design to other developers?
Meant respectfully in question.

domedia
01-24-2009, 11:39 PM
And I am learning.
But, does this mean I don't need to ask questions here..until I can
?
Not at all, it just means it'd be easier because you'd be speaking the same web standards language ;)

dreamweaverntn
01-24-2009, 11:43 PM
OIC..good. Cause I'm knee deep in this schtuff and enjoying it. It is challenging. I've tried to read a book and watch tutorials and have learned quite a bit from them really. And use them as references.
But it's also really good to have somewhere to just ask a question without feeling like I'm bothering someone.
I've asked a couple of places and they all say "go learn and come back" go to W3schools and then come back and we'll talk.
If I knew everything there was to know about css, there would be no need to ask anyone anything. :)
Thanks!
Mark
I learn best by breaking and fixing...

Corrosive
01-25-2009, 07:21 AM

He, he. I know that feeling....mostly 'breaking' if I'm honest :wink:

domedia
01-25-2009, 07:30 AM
It's 3.30 am you guys should go to bed ;)

Corrosive
01-25-2009, 07:35 AM
It's 3.30 am you guys should go to bed ;)

Not here chief. It's 8:30 and I'm thinking about my third cup of tea :)

dreamweaverntn
01-25-2009, 11:28 AM

Don't anybody squat on that line. I was gonna put it in my sig but I've got to get more posts...

dreamweaverntn
01-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Sidebar 2 actually touches the footer and sidebar 1 is about 15-20 pxls up from it. If I add spaces in the sidebar 1, it just leaves a gap on the the OTHER side. Like a seesaw.
Is there a property to add to make both of the sidebars touch the footer, regardless of their length? to make the shorter one extend?

dreamweaverntn
01-25-2009, 12:35 PM
I've read about 'faux' columns. That sounds like something more for you frontline guys than me for right now.
I think I'll just make the footer the same as the main container color. :)
Doesn't fix the unequal sidebar issue, but not as stark of a problem either.
Found out if you totally delete the footer, the whole thing goes whack, main container flies UP...
AS I said, I learn best by breaking then fixing....

Corrosive
01-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Found out if you totally delete the footer, the whole thing goes whack, main container flies UP...
AS I said, I learn best by breaking then fixing....

That's because floated elements are taken out of the main 'flow' of the website. If you put a footer in and clear: both; that brings the site back into the 'flow' and the wrapper stretches all the way down. Take it out and it disappears back up to your last non-floated element. Usually the banner or nav in my experience. Hope this explains what is happening.

dreamweaverntn
01-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Makes perfect sense, now that you mention it. I've read about "flow" in that book. Guess that's an example.
Thanks!

dreamweaverntn
01-25-2009, 12:51 PM
If you change the color AND the type (replace "Footer" with other words) in the .dwt, save, it changes the color with the associated .html files, but the type text was not replaced on the footer...it still says "Footer". but the .dwt has the new type.
Why is that?

Corrosive
01-25-2009, 12:53 PM
If you change the color AND the type (replace "Footer" with other words) in the .dwt, save, it changes the color with the associated .html files, but the type text was not replaced on the footer...it still says "Footer". but the .dwt has the new type.
Why is that?

Did DW say it was updating your other files?

dreamweaverntn
01-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Yea, showed the files to update, then showed as "done". But, it did update the color of the footer, just not the type. :confused:
Done.
files examined: 8
files updated: 0
files which could not be updated: 0
total time: (0:00:00)

Corrosive
01-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Yea, showed the files to update, then showed as "done". But, it did update the color of the footer, just not the type. :confused:
Done.
files examined: 8
files updated: 0
files which could not be updated: 0
total time: (0:00:00)

Errrrm, 'files updated: 0'...how many files do you think updated then? Post your code or a URL.

dreamweaverntn
01-25-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm sorry..I'm just not brave enough, yet, to post my url or whole code.
I don't wanna be laughed at. :)
I'm in the big dawgs league in here and you guys are good. I'm not as good as you guys. I've seen your sites and you should be proud. Mine are so elementary in comparison. But, I don't give up easily.
I'll get there..I just need to study more and break more things. :) And keep good backups of working files!
And I realize it's hard to help without seeing the full code.
sidenote..it is only a problem with that footer updating on all of the files. Any other area on the .dwt works fine to update them all. Musta broke a code when I deleted it. I pulled the working .dwt/css back off of the server and wrote over the locals.

Here is the css code for the footer:
}
.thrColElsHdr #footer {
padding: 100;
clear: both;
height: 40px;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
}
.thrColElsHdr #footer p {
margin: 0; /* zeroing the margins of the first element in the footer will avoid the possibility of margin collapse - a space between divs */
padding: 50; /* padding on this element will create space, just as the the margin would have, without the margin collapse issue */
}

Here is the footer code for the .dwt:
<div id="footer">
<p>testtest</p>
<!-- end #footer -->
</div>
I understand if you need more to help that what you can see here. Thanks for helping me out!

domedia
01-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Sounds like the footer text is in an editable area, which means thee template does not control it.
Only way to make sure is that you post the DWT and one of the HTML files.

OT:
Not here chief. It's 8:30 and I'm thinking about my third cup of tea :)
Yeah I knew that.. guess I was the one posting at 3:30.. I shouldn't even get close to the interweb after coming home from the bar. Friends don't let friends drink and surf!

dreamweaverntn
01-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Sounds like the footer text is in an editable area, which means thee template does not control it.
Only way to make sure is that you post the DWT and one of the HTML files.

AWE man I LOVE this place!
That was it, I found the
<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
cut it and moved it above the footer.
All fixed! all footer changes now are applied to all pages.
I gues when I was adding the editable region, I went farther down than what I thought I had.
Wow...I like this.
See, I broke it and got it fixed. Of course, you helped me and I
THANK YOU!
I love it when I learn something.
Mark