PDA

View Full Version : Photo album editing...

rattlsnak
01-24-2009, 02:24 AM
Hey all, I used the (Command>Make Photo Album) tool in DW and am wondering how can you add pictures to it. In other words, the tool created the thumbnails, the navigation to the bigger files, etc. But now I want to add a few new photos to the pages in the same format. I guess I could just redo the entire command whenever I add photos to the source file, but I was wondering if there is a way to simply add / update photos.

Thanks..

Ricky55
01-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Never used this tool but just had a very quick look and it seems pretty straight forward.

When you first set up the tool it prompts you for two folders, a source folder and a destination folder.

I assume that the source folder will be the high quality images and the destination will be where it saves the optimised Thumbnails and Main Images.

Just run a test, create a two folders in your main site one called source and one destination, and add your quality images to the source folder (making sure they're copies of course, don't want to make a mess of your images) then point the source to the folder you created and run and see what happens I would have thought Dreamweaver will populate the destination folder with the thumbnails and main images.

I could be wrong as I've never used it like I say but that how I would first attempt it.

rattlsnak
01-24-2009, 08:13 PM
I dont see how that would be any different than simply adding the new photos to the original source and running the command again.
Thats what Im trying to see if there is a simple way to add but the way the program runs, it creates not just the thumbs and web photos, but also navigation links and all the new pages as well. Ive done multiple sites 'the old fashioned way', and believe me, this way is awesome. It takes two minutes to add 100 photos, thumbs, pages and links!

DW makes a folder called photoalbum in the root directory, that has sub folders called images, thumbnails, and pages.

Ricky55
01-24-2009, 08:19 PM
how much easier do you want it?

rattlsnak
01-25-2009, 03:35 AM
LOL, ok i get it.. ;)

OK, two more questions.
1. It seems that when I use that command it builds the index page but puts the pictures out of order no matter how I name them. i.e. It will put home 18.jpg before home1, or home 01.jpg, and others all over the place. Obviously I would like them in order. I named them for a reason.

2. The pages that it builds are all generic white pages and I want to add colors/fonts etc. Aside from going into each page, one by one, is there a way to make a change and it will change them all?

Thanks.

Ricky55
01-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Well like I say I've never used this tool but it I would imagine it will order them from the file name.

Looking at your example file names no wonder they are all over the place,
to get them in order you need to stick to one name structure such as

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg

Not 18.jpg and then home1, homeo1.jpg

You need to look into templates to edit one page and have it change several others. There's a tut on the home page of this site.

rattlsnak
01-26-2009, 02:40 AM
I was just shortcutting the file names, they are indeed like this : home1.jpg, home2.jpg, etc but when it orders them, it puts home18.jpg before home1.jpg, and others everywhere in between. The order is correct in the source file, which is in file name order.

Anyway, I cant dotemplates either, because the command makes all the pages for you, so they are not there to start with to make a tremplate with.

Oh well, I guess thats just the nature of that command. I was trying to find an easier way to make a photo album, but it looks like the 'do it yourself way' is better if you want to add any kind of style sheet etc..

Ricky55
01-26-2009, 08:26 AM
i would mate.

pigman
01-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Try renaming home1.jpg to home01.jpg - I thinkj you will find that they then sort as you want them to.

Tim

rattlsnak
01-26-2009, 10:39 PM
I tried that too, didnt work,.. For some reason it always starts with home18.jpg, then 19,20, 21, then 1,2,3,13,14,15,4,5,6,7, regardless if I put a '0' in front like 01, 02, etc. weird..

pigman
01-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Only other thing I can think of is that it is sorting on the date stamp - you can change that with something like ztree (ztree.com). Worth a try

Tim