PDA

View Full Version : Using a dwt

coloeagle
01-23-2009, 06:26 PM
In another thread Corrosive made this statement;
You'll still need to upload the updated pages. IMHO if you are looking at producing a lot of pages then look at PHP options which will update lots of live pages. I think you reckon templates should do more than they can.
This got me to thinking. I understand that the use of a dwt can be largely beneficial, especially for a newbie.

Personally I have quit using them all together as I think most experienced designer/coders have done. I use php includes over virtual includes and use them anywhere I can for things that will be consistent and or change once in a while (as in copyright info).

So my question is this; Where do you draw the line when working with a dwt?

edbr
01-24-2009, 01:28 AM
i agree completely. like many things DW, it provides an easy wizard like way of producing a way of making consistent features, i think most will migrate to includes as you have although i am also sure many dont in a if it aint broke don't fix it kinda way.

a similar issue is with DW's php wizard , it does a good job to the limit of its abilities but there is a clearer and less restricting way.
so to answer your question, i think especially as this forum is called what it is we should help where we can but suggest there are other (better)ways available.

edbr
01-24-2009, 01:33 AM
as i am sure not everyone will agree i thought to give an example. in a site I currently have 34 links to villas his can change, i have them in 3 languages instead of template, updating and uploading, i change 1 included file and the changes are made sitewide

coloeagle
01-24-2009, 03:47 PM
My turn to agree Ed.

I think that no matter what editor is used, as our knowledge increases we begin to learn the limitations of the editor and want to go beyond this.
Forums like DWC are a great benefit to doing this. It teaches the editor, it's limitations and what you need or where to go when your ready.

I started out with FP moved to the use of dwt's, then into DW and on to includes. Currently do about 98+% of coding by hand. Extremely little use of any auto features.

Rob_Che
01-24-2009, 11:10 PM
I'm not really going to contribute here but I use DW as a very expensive note pad. I was speaking to DavidJ the other evening (about some voodoo coding he calls PHP, god bless him) and the way DW colors your code makes it brilliant for problem solving.

However, I have a editor on my server so I find myself logging in and editing CSS on the fly - you have to remember to download it when you get home though or when you upload it next you lose your changes... not that I've done that of course! *cough*

I will be using PHP from now on for my includes. I don't really know how to yet but it's coming...

Rob